HDi 'surge'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossd
My Cars:

HDi 'surge'

Post by rossd »

I've been driving about in my new HDi 90 for a week now, and I have noticed, on light to medium accelerator settings, a slight surge around 2000rpm. Now it doesnt do this everytime, it seems totally random and of the times I have managed to make it do it, I have noted that my foot doesn't move on the throttle.
Is this a common trait? I know my old XUDT had a big turbo surge around 2000rpm, but this was when really pressing on, eg lots of accelerator. It does indeed feel like a turbo coming on song, but a) its only on light throttle and b)it doesnt do it everytime!
Now the only thing I have done is bung a ball bearing in the EGR pipe, I dont really like my inlet manifold being filled with tar. But then it did this before I blocked the pipe.
Any ideas? (Its in a V-reg 306 btw, 66K and full service history)
Ross
PS, Happy New Year!
silverback

Post by silverback »

My 110 does this as well.
It concerned me at first, but I've got used to it now.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well I can live with it too, I was just really wondering if it was normal.
Cheers!
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I'm no expert - but had you thought of the accelerator "pot"? It's a fly-by-wire system and you can expect the pot to wear out at the most commonly used position. I certainly know of a Vauxhall TD that had this problem.
Simon
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You should also check that your vehicle has had all the program updates downloaded.
//NiSk
silverback

Post by silverback »

How do I ensure that program updates have been downloaded?
silverback

Post by silverback »

Sorry, I forgot to add, that the car 'clicks' from the front offside (left of UK car) when the accelerator pedal is pushed when the car is very cold, for the first few minutes after starting.
Anyone have any ideas what that is please?
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well the throttle pot has no moving parts according to the HDi tech docs, so I'm unsure if it would wear (how does it work, induction maybe...?). Its certainly the most likely logical candidate though. I know that the MAF's give trouble on VW TDi's, do these have any sort of reputation on the HDi?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the throttle position sensor is just a variable resistor/potentiometer (2 sets of tracks). the airflow meters have been known to cause problems but only really due to water getting into them,if this was the case though you would be lacking power badly.i wouldnt worry about this surge.