BX LHM flush

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ian Fearn
My Cars:

BX LHM flush

Post by Ian Fearn »

For my next trick i shall attempt to clean out the hydraulic system of my BX.
I intend to run some hydraflush through the system and plan on emptying the main resovoir, filling it with hydraflush, then bleed it through the pipes through the brake calipers. Is this the right way of doing it?
What problems am i likely to encounter and how long should i keep the hydraflush in there?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Mine has been in the system for about 2000 miles and I am about to refill with LHM, I may need to prime the pump, clean the filters again and bleed all the brakes but thats about it.
Stewart
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Total (who make the Hydraincage) say 500 - 5000 km. It depends on how dirty your hydraulic system is. It could be a good idea to check the state of the oil and filters after a couple of hundred miles, just to see if the system was really dirty or just palin dirty!
//NiSk
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Do you guys want to hear something amazing????
I tried to find hydraincage in my country and even the main citroen garage in the country did not hear of such thing....they all tell me they have no idea what i am talking about...
And then they wonder why Citroen cars have bad reputation and so cheap comparing to other manufacturers.
Elad.
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

So does anybody know the correct procedure for doing the swap?
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Take a look around cyberspace, find and download an electronic Haynes in .pdf for step-by-step procedure :-))
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

if you search in this forum you will find the procedure details,
it's there somewhere, maybe in tips and tricks section.
Elad.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The following site provides excellent instructions on all manner of Citroënistics - the following tab deals with just LHM change:
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/sus ... HydraFlush
//NiSk
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Ian
This is what Philippe at Medway Cit told me, and what I am about to do this afternoon:
1) Undo pressure regulator (PR) release valve 1 turn ONLY! Mark for reference (12 mm bolt on front side of PR)
2) Disconnect fuel pump hoses, taking care not to lose double washers inside inlets.
3) Label and disconnect LHM pipes. The thick one furthest away from you as you look at the engine from in front of the radiator is the out pipe, the other thick one nearest to you is the return pipe.
4) Dismount LHM reservoir, empty contents, clean filters and inserts taking care with sharp edges
5) Remount tank and fill with Hydraflush
6) reconnect 4 slimmer hoses to tank
7) Remount and prime diesel pump using large black rubber pump button on front.
8) Attach extension pipe to return pipe and route it to a vessel to catch LHM
9) Attach large funnel to out pipe and fill with Hydraflush, keeping it well above tank level. This is to prime the pump and to ensure no air gets into Hydraflush
10) Start engine and when Hydraflush is gulping in the funnel, remove funnel and reattach pipe quickly to reservoir, taking care not to allow any air into mix.
11) When clean Hydraflush is coming out of return pipe, reconnect to reservoir.
12) Retighten PR release valve bolt
13) Put suspension on highest setting and put car on axle stands
14) remove road wheels and bleed brake caliper until clean Hydraflush is apparent
15) Replace road wheels and go up and down x50 from highest to lowest. This will kick the Hydraflush around the system.
16) Run for 1000-1500 miles and replace with fresh LHM, following above procedure.
Let me know how you get on!
Oscar