xm mirrors are the same?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ivan olsen
My Cars:

xm mirrors are the same?

Post by ivan olsen »

i have a '93 xm, and i need to change the glass in my lh mirror, because i cracked it accidentaly (it's still in its place, but has 3 disturbing cracks in it.) i found the following item at gsfcarparts.com:
N88330 DOOR MIRROR GLASS-LH XM ALL >94
it says, >94. are the mirror glass dimensions really different? my pal has a 95 xm, their mirrors _look_ just the same. or are there some minor differences?
crooser

Post by crooser »

after 95 the mirror shape changes,don't get one from halfords they are a poor shape,get the proper one from andyspares.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Is there a Halfords in Budapest?
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by beezer</i>

Is there a Halfords in Budapest?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Don't joke, there is a Tesco in Eger!!
JOhnM
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Your 94 XM could be a series 1 or series 2, depending on when during the year it was made - the series 1 has the double chevron on the left hand side of the bonnet/grille while the series 2 has it incorporated in the middle of the grille. All series 1 have the same mirrors and all series 2 have the same mirrors, but they are not alike (series 1 and 2, that is). From what you are saying, it sounds like your's is a series 2, since a '95 would definitely be and your seeems to be the same as your pals.
//NiSk
ivan olsen
My Cars:

Post by ivan olsen »

hi,
actually we have lots of tescos over here, but no halfords.
my car is a 1st gen xm. i've compared the mirrors only for the looks, haven't done exact measurements, so the might be different. i know a guy who makes unique car mirrors, but unfortunately he works a bit too expensive, a mirror by him would cost around 50-80 pounds, which is a bit too much compared to the 4.5 pounds compared with gfscarparts.com. what we are missing here is the number of xm salvage yards. we have many bx parts, but not xm :o(
maybe i will need to cut the glass myself. :o)
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If you had a series 1 and a series 2 XM standing side-by-side you couldn't possibly mistake the difference in the shape of the side mirrors - they are totaly different. I recently had to replace the LH side mirror on my '98 XM 2.5TD and checked on the scrap '93 I've got in the barn - seeing them side by side there's no way the series 1 and 2 are interchangable.
//NiSk
ivan olsen
My Cars:

Post by ivan olsen »

that's weird, then either my mirrors are newer series or my pal's mirrors are from the older series. could the whole mirror be interchanged? i mean not just the glass, but also the plastic parts? i know that his xm is a rebuilt one, i wouldn't be surprised if the whole doors are changed.
here's a pic of my car:
and you can see the broken mirror too (actually it can't be noticeable from this distance). sorry for the mess, it was being cleaned at the time.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yep, I can see from your pic that it's a series 1 mirror - I've just replaced the LH mirror on my '98 series 2 Break. The RH and LH side edges on it are parallel and lean inwards towards the car. I'll try and take a pic tomorrow when it's light and try and find somewhere to post it so you can see. The other difference is that the front of the mirror housing is much more rounded and bulbous on the S2 and painted the same colour as the car.
//NiSk
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Right Ivan, if I've got the uploading details right, you should be able to see a pic of an XM series 2 rear wing mirror here:
//NiSk
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

This is a little off-topic, but can there be found mirrors compatible with Xantia mk2 with a small engine/mechanism to fold/close the mirror when the car is parked, like the ones seen in last generation XM and on the C5?
Thanks
TB
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The series 2 XM had indexable mirrors, but I've never seen one with folding mirrors as on the C5. Might be worth checking Peugeots of the same era.
//NiSk