Xantia Steaming up

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

My Xantia is the same.
The rear door windows constantly steam up even when the front ones and the windscreen are fine. All my heating and cooling works as it should (no aircon) and I can get all windows demisted easily but the rear ones are a pain.
Makes for a very boring car trip for my rear passengers as they can't see out the windows!
Strange!
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
I had a very similar problem on my 405 which has air con.
Under the pollen filter in the outside air intake
is a flap thats controled by a motor to let outside air into the car.
What happened was the flap cracked where the clip goes that connects the flap to the motor.
The flap was free to move on its own & depending if the car was travilling up or down a hill or on a motorway because of the higher airspeed, The flap would move & block the air intake to the car & steam the windows up.
Check your flaps behaving correctly.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Lift the carpet up, you'l probably find a boating lake down there.
Dave
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

both my xantias steamed up if you go down woolworths for a couple of quid there you can buy moisture removers, these work by holding white crystals which absorb moisture from the atmosphere and drop it as a salty mixture into a try below... chuck a couple in your car and after a couple of days it will stop misting up
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i had a similar problem on my xantia, turned out to be the panel at the bottom of the windscreen wasn't sealed properly and water was leaking into the car.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Not a slightly blocked sun roof pipe leaking back in to the roof linning is it? check drain hole are clear by flushing with warm water and a little washing up liquid.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

There is a prodcut that is from the same manufacturer as rain-X, i think it has a similar name also. i prevents that problme you have.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Switching the air-con on for a short while works for me, but after suffering this problem last winter i discovered it was caused by lots of wet feet getting in the car.
2 kiddies sploshing through puddles never gave the mats a chance to dry out. overnight on the radiator before a trip did the trick.
rpaco
My Cars:

Post by rpaco »

If you have aircon you need to run it at least once a week in the winter anyway to keep the seals from drying out (or something) My Xantia needs the aircon on to demist after standing out all night in the winter. My company had a Previa which needed the aircon on full all the time in the winter to see anything out of the w/screen at all. Worse was my Juilietta which had a blower which sounded like a Tornado F3 (sorry, i live near an RAF station) but gave only the merest trickle of demist air consequently one had to clean the screen continually, interesting to drive though.
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

As I mentioned, I was having the same problem with my rear windows constantly steaming up.
Well, I think I have solved it.
The other day while cleaning my Xantia I noticed that quite a bit of green moss had built up between the rear window glass and the rubber seal along the outside bottom of the window. I got it all out using a small pocket knife (being very carefull not to cut the rubber) and for the last five days the rear windows have only misted up as much as the fronts and they demist fully after 10mins or so driving.
I figure that because the rear windows get used a lot less frequently than the front, this has allowed the moss to build up mainly on the rears. As moss retains a lot of water this could be the cause.
It's worked for me.