Xantia Steaming up

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nomad
My Cars:

Xantia Steaming up

Post by Nomad »

Hi all
My 1.8i 95 Xantia gets very steamed up on all the windows wether it is wet or dry out side, but only in the winter. I have to have my fan running on max and set to screen de-mist all the time, even with just me in the car. this does cure the problem for the windscreen and also the two front door windows, but the rear door windows are always steamed up. the rear window, if the rear window heater is on all the time it seems ok. But when i turn the fan down or the rear heater goes off, it all starts to steam up again. The inside of the car seems dry and there is no evidence of a leak anywhere. If i drive with the sunroof on tilt it clears it all.
Most of my driving is a 20 min dash up the motorway to & from work.
I have tried all the settings on the ventilator controls and they do all work.
Is this a known thing with Xantia's or is it just mine?
Cheers
Tony
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

you need to drink you "hot" coffee before you get in your car..:)
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

I do i have 2 cups every morning before i set of for work :-)
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

You need to turn the air-con on, most modern cars will need the air-con on in order to demist the car.
seeya,
Shane L.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You've not got one of those recirulation buttons pressed in then? They always cause the windows to steam up after a short while.
//NiSk
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi All
I don't have air con or a recirulation button, any other ideas?
Tony
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Heater Matrix leak? Before mine finally blew up, I could get the windscreen to just about clear if I turned fan and heater on full, but the rest of the car was clammy as a sponge. Have you noticed any funny smells? How does the liquid feel - is it slighty tacky/sticky? Both of these could be caused by coolant being vapourised as steam is blown out of your matrix.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Do you have a lever/slider that controls the air from either inside or recirculation? Top right hand one in UK cars above the fan speed lever. The symbol is a car shaped silhouette with an arrow, one running from outside to inside the other symbol shows the arrow running around inside the car. This often fails and leaves the control set at recirculation or cabin recirculation regardless of lever position, which will cause major steaming up of the windows. No fresh air entering. Easily repaired with a bit of patience.
The other less wonderful possibility is a very slight leak from the heater matrix which introduces plenty of moist air into the car. Check for a small but regular need to top up the coolant. Some radiator repair goo will cure it but do not get over heavy with the dosing. It can cause other circulation problems in the matrix.
Good luck, Robin
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi
The condensation just feels like normal condensation, i am not loosing and coolent at all, also no funny smells in the car.
Tony
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Hi i can't say that i noticed this problem last year or not, but somebody used my car in October and mentioned about how much condensation forms on the windows, Since then (now i am aware it i do think that it is a problem. The only thing different this year to last year is that i still have the roof rack little lugs/grub screews fiited to the car, It says in the instructions for the roof rack that i can leave them in (original Citroen Roof Rack), but with them left in they do foul the rubber gutter sealing to the top of the door jams, but as i say the car does not feel that damp inside, ok i know it is hard to tell if it is damp or just cold in the winter.
Cheers
Tony
ninebob

Post by ninebob »

Mine does it too, I've heard it's normal across all Xantiae. I just open the window and wipe the front screen with a cloth. I do have aircon though so will try that trick next time it happens!
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

OK i do have that lever/slider, so i will check to see if it has disconnected some how, how easy it it to get behind the fancier at that point?
Tony
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robin</i>

Do you have a lever/slider that controls the air from either inside or recirculation? Top right hand one in UK cars above the fan speed lever. The symbol is a car shaped silhouette with an arrow, one running from outside to inside the other symbol shows the arrow running around inside the car. This often fails and leaves the control set at recirculation or cabin recirculation regardless of lever position, which will cause major steaming up of the windows. No fresh air entering. Easily repaired with a bit of patience.
The other less wonderful possibility is a very slight leak from the heater matrix which introduces plenty of moist air into the car. Check for a small but regular need to top up the coolant. Some radiator repair goo will cure it but do not get over heavy with the dosing. It can cause other circulation problems in the matrix.
Good luck, Robin
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

I must say that this is an excellent forum with speedy and friendly replies Thanks all
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Tony, not too bad at all. I have put some other info on the forum on just this topic but in short --
Remove the two screws from below the facia in the ashtray opening and gently rotate the outer frame of the facia upwards unclipping it at the sides and lifting it clear at the top above the radio.
You can then get access to the radio screws and the screws holding the control levers in place. Ease the radio forward to allow you to lift the levers panel up and forward. Not much room but you can get in enough to see the problem and fix it whith some pinted nose pliers and patience. At the very least set it to fresh air only and leave it there if the wire control is too stiff to work from the lever. It really is not worth the strip down of the heater assembly to fix it.
Reassmbly is the reverse of etc...... HBOL Copyright that last bit.
Best wishes, Robin
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Thanks Robin, i will get to that over the weekend and have a look.
Cheers
Tony