BX fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pajator
My Cars:

Post by Pajator »

You have BX 1.6 1991 with carb in it??? It´s not normal. You should have the fuel injection in it. Carbs were using till 1987. Maybe someone rebuilt this car. My first BX 16TRS 1984 (carb) took about 8l/100km. Now I have BX 1.6 1991 (injection)and it takes 7l/100km... If you want a carb I have orig carb (Weber 32/34drtc) but it would be difficult to send it to you... [:(]
FrankBo
My Cars:

Post by FrankBo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pajator</i>

You have BX 1.6 1991 and you have carb in it??? It´s not normal, carbs were using till 1987. You should have the fuel injection in it. Maybe someone rebuilt this car. I had my first BX 16TRS 1984(carb) and it took about 8l/100km... Now I have BX 1.6i 1991 (injection) and it takes 7l/100km... I have orig carb (Weber 32/34drtc) in my garage but it would be difficult to send it to you... [:(]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have a BX 16 Built in November 1991 (ORGA 5478) and it's not fuel injected. In Italy cars with carburettor where sold since dicember 1992. My Bx have a Solex Carburettor.
Now it's not running (it's damaged) if i will repair it, i'll replace
Solex 34 Z1 by a Weber 32/34 DRTC.
Your Weber 32/34 DRTC have auto-choke or it's manual?
By
Frank
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

As a further comment on the original carb, I reckon the auto-choke arrangement on this piece of rubbish has a lot to do with poor economy in urban driving.
It works by the primitive method of obstructing the inlet to increase the vacuum at the jet, unfortunately that approach causes far too much enrichment at running speeds, but barely enough to start the engine. I also found that it was liable to come back-on when the car had been resting for even a short stopover, as the wax-cartridge which operates it cools much faster than the rest of the water-circuit.
It's very difficult to set-up this autochoke so the engine starts and idles reliably yet doesn't use excessive fuel when running. At best you have to settle with a compromise.
The only carb I've any time for is the SU, which provides its enrichment by opening the jet, and is generally capable of more accurate fuel-metering than most carbs. Unfortunately the physical layout of the BX manifold would make it diffcult to fit an SU (or I'd have tried!)
FrankBo
My Cars:

Post by FrankBo »

Tanks Ian,
Someone know if exist a manual kit conversion for a Weber 32/34 DRTC
originally fitted auto-choke?
Pajator
My Cars:

Post by Pajator »

My Weber 32/34drtc has auto-choke...
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

How do i know what type of carb. i have?
the only two things i know are that it's weber and that it was made in italy.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Elad,
Is there a little aluminium or stainless steel tag attched to one of the screws that hold the top on?
If so, there may be some numbers stamped on there.
Failing that, measure the throat sizes as I understand that is what the measurements actually are; the numbers on the model designation.
Then as you take out (and replace before you forget where they came from) the jets, they should each have numbers stamped on them. Compare these with the numbers shown in the service manual.
Alan S
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Andyspares certainly used to do a manual choke conversion kit for the BX and Peugeot 309/405 with the XU engine. I removed a wmanually-converted Solex carb from a BX16TRS in a scrapyard but never got round to fitting it onto the BX16 estate I bought it for. There's a Haynes carb manual which gives a table of carb types fitted to various cars. I have a copy of this but unfortunately I can't check it as it's sitting in the back of a car 40 miles away.