Odd incident - one off?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ninebob

Odd incident - one off?

Post by ninebob »

Went out earlier, started the car and waited for it to rise which it did as usual. As I pulled away it stalled. On restarting it turned over for about 5 seconds before firing (normally it starts immediately without problem). Whilst turning over a light came on the dashboard like an engine with a letter K. When it fired up the light went off.
I would normally give the car the benefit of the doubt for the stall - i.e. driver error, not concentrating etc. But the hesitant re-start and warning light have me worried, especially as I am led to beleive that particular light warns of an electrical gremlin.
Having said all this, the car ran fine for the 50 mile round trip I subsequently did, with no further probs starting it again.
Do you think this is a one off niggle, or should I be concerned? If so, where should I look?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Had the car been standing for a few days or has it been in regular use?
Just wondering about damp, minor air leaks etc.
jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We've got a BX TZi that has a lazy starter. Sometimes when I have to wind it, it will do the same when it starts. I usually let it run for a couple of minutes, turn it off, restart it and the light goes out and no more problems.
I have the feeling the 02 sensor could be on the way out but I'll redo the starter first and if no further problem, then I'll get the lambda replaced but it's been doing it for about 3 years now so I'm in no rush; don't lose any sleep over it.
Alan S
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

I get a similar problem occasionally on my 1.8 16v Dimension, in that it starts, but then stops almost immediately. Restarting is then extremely difficult.
The symptoms suggest that flooding (excess fuel in cylinders) is the problem, in my case anyway. It does seem more likely to happen if the car has been standing in damp conditions, such as on grass, or has been unused for a day or three.
Been driving the car for ~2yrs and not yet found the cause.
ninebob

Post by ninebob »

I've given it some thought and i think i've answered my own question.
It was dark at the time so after the first start, by the time i stalled it i had switched the headlights on. I reckon maybe the battery isn't quite in top condition, so with the lights on could this be why it turned over a bit slower and gave me the electrical warning light?
The car was second hand a couple of months ago so I don't know when it last had a change of battery, will do it during the week.
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

I would doubt that, once the engine is running the battery should be under charge, so if it starts the first time it should be able to deliver a second start provided it's had a few mins running. The headlights being on shouldn't prevent it charging, either.
HST, I do find that Cits seem to need a heavy-duty battery, the type of starters they fit turn very sluggishly with a standard battery. So if you do change the batteery, get one with as high a starting-current rating as possible.