Tachometer Weirdness & Remote Locking Question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeO

Tachometer Weirdness & Remote Locking Question

Post by MikeO »

Hi there,
I've got a 94 Xantia TD, which has been to the moon & back (180k miles). However, everything works fine, with the exception of the tacho - the needle keeps swinging around intermittently. I talked to a mate who had one of these and he said it was probably a bad contact under the bonnet at the central 'brain'. Does anyone have any idea as to which connection I should be looking at? (tried reading the Haynes manual, but it covers all models and is not much help in this area).
Cheers
Mike:)
ps The remote locking key has also just packed up - the rubber cover is missing from the buttons and the main (front) button is a bit battered. Is it possible to re-furbish/replace these without it costing an arm & a leg?
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi, The tacho is driven straight off a sensor on the fly wheel. The sensor is located, round the back of the gearbox, above the intermediate drive shaft. Its a black sensor, and is clamped in, you will need to go under the car jacked up securly and have a look ... Good luck, if you need any other help, shout!!
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

the key casing is available from citroen for under a tenner if the bloke on the counter is feeling helpful, alternatively he might try to sell you the complete key for about 80 quid.
I think if you try searching this forum for 'plip casing' it might turn up a part number or something.
MikeO

Post by MikeO »

Thanks for the info - I'll lookout for an old 'plipper' and swap them over...
The tacho connection will have to wait until I'm jacking the car up for another job, I think!
Mike[:)]
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

I have a similar problem with the tacho on my BX TZD which I've traced to the cable from the sender unit (on the back of the engine) being trapped between engine and gearbox. This was probably accidentally done when I had the clutch changed - some 50K miles ago - but manifests itself by the tacho sometimes working, sometimes not working and sometimes just thrashing about madly. I'm tempted to get under the car and release some of the engine/gearbox bolts enough to extract the sender wiring from where its become trapped - I suspect that I won't even have to replace the sender unit.
MikeO

Post by MikeO »

Thanks everyone for your input. Got under the car this evening and found the sensor, obviously skewed in its holder and filthy. After ten minutes or so wiggling it free, it came loose and, after cleaning and re-setting, I'm happy to report I have a fully functional tacho!
At the same time I found the reversing light switch (dead easy - NOT) and connected the plug to it. Both these faults hark back to when the car had a re-con engine a couple of years ago - the mechanic who fitted it obviously got fed up with the job towards the end...
Thanks again...
Mike[:)]