Xantia LHM Indicator

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anno888
My Cars:

Xantia LHM Indicator

Post by anno888 »

Hi all,
I have noticed that I have LHM leaking from a pipe which runs out of the right hand side of the front accumilator sphere (or there abouts). The thing is that checking the reservoir, there is not too much LHM left but the display on top of it is stuck at the very top (indicating that it's full). The dash warning light is obviously run off this top hat indicator as there are two electrical wires connected to it and because the hat is stuck, there is no warning on the dash that the LHM is low.
For my own piece of mind I would like to get the indicator unstuck and reading correctly. Is this easy. Any info on doing this would be very welcome.
Oh, and can anyone recommend a Cit mechanic not too far from South London to get the leak fixed.
I'd like to do it myself if it isn't too difficult. Will try to add photo of suspect pipe.
Cheers
turner

Post by turner »

hi ive just had the same problem on my 20i lx xantia it turned out to be the front accumulator which i had to replace its accully leaking from the valve where the pipe your talking about leads to mine used to leave a pool of lhm fluid on the floor before i fixed it. you have to replace the complete unit becouse if you try and replace the valve on its own you,ll have more problems i picked a second hand one up from a reliabile Citroen breakers in my area for £35 so they,re not that dear to replace and it took me an afternoon to change it and its fine now if you need to know to know anymore about replacing it just let me know and ill give you all the advice you need to do the job
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

About the leak : try if the pipe union in question can be nipped up.
The reservoir level indicator does not indicate when the reservoir is filled to the top. Approx 2/3 level down, the float will free it's top stuck position, and approx 1/2 reservoir level left the float will activate the warning switch you have noticed.
The correct procedure checking the reservoir level is to set the suspension height to highest position and then check the float indicator is within the 2 red rings.
Meaning : with suspension in low or normal heights, the float WILL (should) be stuck against top.
Overfilling the reservoir has the frightening effect of your mistress or neighbours getting very upset by the messy spillage on the driveway [:p]
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by anno888</i>

For my own piece of mind I would like to get the indicator unstuck and reading correctly. Is this easy. Any info on doing this would be very welcome.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
When my float got stuck at the top, I drilled a 2mm hole in the crown of the dome, pushed the float downwards and sealed the hole with a tiny blob of blue-tac.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

JohnD,is that little trick still working?My float has been stuck since i done the LHM last year.I use the way Anders said about in a previous post,using your finger.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

JohnD,is that little trick still working?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Must be three years ago that I drilled and pushed - it's been fine ever since. Even had a change of LHM since then.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I just give the clear bit a gentle tap and down goes the indicator.
Stewart
pete@co.uk
My Cars:

Post by pete@co.uk »

About the level indicator if you grasp it between your finger and thumb and give it a little turn you can lift it out complete with the float no need for drilling holes or anything to put it back in just slot it in and turn agian its easy
pete...................................
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Used Pete`s suggestion this morning,float went down as i pulled the housing out.It moves freely up & down,but putting it back in,it rise`s to the top/max again.Must have a bit to much LHM in there.Never mind.
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

when i first got my car the reservoir was full to bursting & float obviously buried in the top of the dome :) as far as iknow its never been down & i still get a little pool of fluid on outside of res which suggests to me theres probably still a bit too much in there but the suspension works perfectly so i aint going to upset it to satisfy that little spark of something thats in all of us wich makes us want to see that float change position like it says it should in the manual:)
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I used to get a little bit of LHM around the top of the tank,untill i put a bit of sealer under the sealing ring.If you have a look in the Haynes under bonnet pics,the reservoirs on those cars are damp as well.