xantia front caliper bolts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

turner

xantia front caliper bolts

Post by turner »

what size are the front caliper bolts on my 1.9 diesel xantia sx l reg as top and bottom bolts seem to be two different size,s the top one is a t50 the bottom ive tried a t55 but its to big and the t50 is to small any ideas only ive been down to my local car spares shop and ive tried differant size allen keys but no avail can anyone help please[:)]
Chris55000
My Cars:

Post by Chris55000 »

Hi!!!
You have my commiserations Sir!!!! My Xantia's been stuck on the drive for three months with exactly this nonsense, made worse by the fact that my top bolt's mangled as well!!![:(]
I'm not aware if there are any Torx sizes between T50 & T55 either - I'll endeavour to find out for you!!!![:)]
My suggestion is if you do get it out, throw it away and get replacements - I've ordered replacements from a2a4.co.uk, they sell 'em for about 60p each and will sell in small quantities, and you can order 'em online with suitable elastic-plastic!!!!!![:)]
Regards,
Chris Williams
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Chris, did you check the pitch of the original bolts before ordering, wether they are coarse or fine.
Tuner, have you tried an 8mm allen key.
Dave
Chris55000
My Cars:

Post by Chris55000 »

Hi!!!
I have removed the bottom bolt OK - this was an M10 x 1.5 part threaded bolt about 34mm long - my T55 fitted this perfectly!!!
What the top one is (or was!!!) is anybody's guess - all that there appears to be left is
the remains of the torx flutes and shiny mangled metal in the recess. Like the other chappie on this thread I found T50 too small, T55 wont go in and neither a 7mm nor an 8mm hex bit'll touch it either!!!! (Kwik-Bodge Strikes Again???!!!)[:(!]
I've spent several hours searching lists of torx tools to see if I can advise this chappie, but I've found that T50 & T55 are the only sizes listed in most tool supplier's catalogues!!!!
When it's mild enough I'm having another go with a No 2 nut-splitter on it - this is very slightly larger than the round bolt head - I'm hoping this'll provide a grip enough to stick a pipe on the splitter and lever it round to unscrew the wretched thing!!!
Chris Williams
turner

Post by turner »

Hi all thanks for all your replys but now this afternoon ive sorted out the problem they were both t55 torx bolts the one i was having trouble with was actully burred over inside i went to another shop today and they lent me a torx guage to try so i tried the other wheel and low and behold it was a t55. now the two different bolt sizes was just my inexperence i was undoing the top caliper bolt the swivel pin that is used for replacing the brake pads thinking that was a caliper bolt silly me that top one by the way if anybody else has that problem is a t50 anyway the main caliper top bolt is underneath this pin so ive sorted my problem and now ive fitted my new brake discs so now i dont have that bad shimmy anymore everytime i put my foot on the brake peddle [:D]
pete................................
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Bit of clarification on these bolts as I've just had the calipers off for cleaning at same time as renewing brake cables.
Caliper mounting bolts are 12mm x 1.5mm (fine pitch) x 35mm long T55 head.
Special caliper slide bolt, 10mm x 1.25mm thread (fine pitch) 8mm hexagon socket (allen head) NOT TORX.
For future reference if you need to buy caliper mounting bolts (these will be socket cap type) from an engineers stores you must ask for the 1.5mm pitch, if you just ask for M12 bolts it will be assumed that you require coarse thread (1.75mm pitch) and thats what you will be given.
Dave
turner

Post by turner »

Hi Dave
Thanks for the info on those caliper slide bolts on my Xantia 1.9 diesel sx shall certinly keep that in mind if i need to loosen them at some point in the future but for the moment my brakes are working perfectly well and my front pads won,t need replacing for a good few thousand miles yet the only problem i have left now is the rear spheres need replacing as the suspension on the rear is hard and goes down when parked up for the night
thanks again
Dave and have a great new year
pete.....................................