Buying a BX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Oscar Too
My Cars:

Buying a BX

Post by Oscar Too »

Hi guys
My first car was a BX 1.7 TGD. Like an idiot I let her go for nothing, now I realise what a smashing car it was. I've sourced another 1.9 TZD which is going v. cheaply - £100. I haven't seen it yet but get a good feeling off the guy after talking to him (another Citroen enthusiast - BX, ZX and xantia). It is difficult for me to justify keeping my current car (ZX 1.9) as I could get around on bike and train, let alone buying a 2nd. It would be a complete hobby car for tinkering with. Now my question: do I go for it or should I let it be? Am I just flushed with my heater matrix success or is BX/ZX maintenance something I really want to spend time and money on?
Your thoughts please?
Oscar Too
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Evryone acknowledges the Xantia ia a better built car than the BX>
Look at the threads upon threads of Xantia problems.
You want more ? Then buy a BX.
All imo ..:-)
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The "Problem" with the Xantia is that it has become TOO cheap. For many people, it's cheaper to pick up a new one than it is to repair an existing one - as soon as the clutch needs changing or the cambelt needs changing, it's cheaper to find a new one than to pay a garage to do regular service work. This means that some owners just run them into the ground without doing any service at all - which gives them a bad reputation for those who buy them cheap, in need of repair without knowing it. And thus the spiral continues downwards . . .
//NiSk
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

But what about my BX? Although I guess the decision is already made, if I am calling it "my" BX. Now just have to clear it with my financial manager - if she lets me!
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

As i own a BX and have driven a xantia to Switzerland i think i can definatly say that the Xantia is a much better built car, the BX feels like its going to break everytime i touch it BUT and its a big BUT, i think the BX is a much more involving car.
I'd definatly go for the BX even though i've had tons of problems with mine, i'm still a big fan. I've had more modern and expensive cars and am still drawn to the BX.
I've never driven a BX diesel but most people on this forum seem to prefer diesel? Give me my GTI any day!
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

At least the BX is generally easier to work on - there are large areas of 'space' under the bonnet - unlike the Xantia where every nook and cranny seems to be filled. Just changing the glow plugs for instance is so much easlier on the BX than the Xantia. Go for it..! I've got both, the Xantia has done 160k Miles (its a real bugger to start on cold mornings) and the BX has done nearer 260K Miles and starts on the first spin (like you'd expect), no matter what the temperature.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Oscar Too,
I agree with Ian's and Madasafish comments regarding the Xantia being a better built car but I would still go for the BX TZD. Bias's of course.
A great deal depends on the mileage of the BX ,regarding repair/maintenance expenditure, service history and to what degree you wish to get involved with repairs.
Over approx 110-130k you will no doubt encounter possible replacements of, clutch, hydraulic pump, radiator and hoses,(cooling --very important, to avoid the BX death nail), cam belts, discs,pads, spheres all round, etc.
Look through-- www.bxclub.co.uk, this will give you a guide to possible BX problems.
As an approximate guide. I would expect you will no doubt spend £500-600 on parts in the first few months to bring the car up to a respectable mechanical condition and would then expect it would run for a further 100k with normal wear-and-tear replacements.
Jon the forum Admin has recently purchases a S/H TZD, reading past posts will give you a good insight what to expect.
Personally----would go for the BX. There still great fun to repair and drive. 16v, GTI and TZD.
Regards
Peter
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Buy that BX Oscar - and enjoy it !
Just remember that any BX is now at least 11 years old. Any s/h car that old will have quite a few niggles, no matter the make/model.
But you have one big advantage doing DIY on the BX : this forum [:D]
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

In reply to what PRM said about spending 5-600quid on it to make it good i reckon that would be lucky!
I thought i'd bought a good car when i got mine and in reality i did. Very straight and tidy with a nice strong engine. BUT it was previously owned by Jo average who didnt realise the BX is something a bit special. Hence i've parted with money for rear arm bearings, front struts, spheres, 4x tyres, headlights, fog lights, clutch, radiator, full lock set plus loads of other minor things that have really added up.
Still love it though and i'm really starting the reap the benefit from the money i've spent on it. Luckily i've been able to do quite a few jobs myself which is where you really save some money.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

having had both cars my only dislike of the bx was the plastic pipes that the lhm flowed through...ikept finding that the ones at the front would just pop apart nd dump all my lhm on the ground....new connectors sorted it but the xantia seems to have metal pipes and doesnt suffer the same problems
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

If it's a toy car ... You live in the UK, forget the boring modern BX's and ZX's (don't even have proper suspension). Go and find yourself a CX2500 GTi Turbo [}:)] [:D]
You know you want too ....... You **need** one of these cars, go and start nagging "The Boss" now so she won't be to shocked when you bring one home [:p] [:0]
Here's mine to give you a little incentive:
You *HAVE* to have one of these cars ....... quickly [:D] [:D]
seeya,
Shane L.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Oscar, I have had 2 Bx's, just look at the front to rear LHM pipes to make sure they are clear of rust, cheack under the back where the chassis meats the upward panel that makes the boot lip, as this is a common place for rust if it has had a rear bump. Also check to see if the front doors close easy and that they havent dropped, if they have it may be just the hinge pins or it could be the A piller rusted where the door hinge is welded to the body work.
If all is okay, BUT IT and enjoy. Just get underneath, power wash the piping and linkages for the suspension clean the lot and leave to dry and then waxoyl all the pipes and linkages, dirty job, but believe me a worthwhile job.
Paul
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If its a hundred quid, it starts, runs, doesn't smoke too much and you have somewhere to keep it then get it! They're about as cheap as a working hobby car gets- as long as you do the work yourself.

Its unlikely to be very rusty, but another place to check is the front arch to inner wing seams at the top. For a project car, though, you want a bit of work, otherwise its boring................
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Go and find yourself a CX2500 GTi Turbo<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">- very nice!!but unfortunately in the UK either too pricey to be a project car
( theres one on ebay at £1800, reserve not met ), or way too far gone with corrosionitis.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Buy it if it's any good! Despite what many say, the BX is still a car that can be run most of the time with DIY maintenance, albeit some of it more time-intensive than other cars of a similar age. I don't have personal experience of the Xantia, but BXs have served me well over the last 12/13 years.
Some parts are getting harder to get hold of, but I'm still surprised by the number of BXs that are in regular use. I'd venture that a reasonable proportion of the ones left have been well looked after, if not pampered. This is important when comparing to the Xantia, as many Xantias are now being run into the ground while they remain fairly cheap and plentiful.
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Thanks guys for all these comments. I'm not sure if I can afford the expense, but there is a big part of me that wants to use the opportunity to understand the internal combustion engine a little better - I've always felt slightly inadequate that I could tell you all about the dynamics of post-communist political and economic transition, but if my car breaks down on the motorway I have to call the AA, after I've finished crying [:)]
I think I can use a good argument with my wife - the above one, plus that I'll let her help. She confounds the stereotypes by actually being interested too.