Xantia ABS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Benito
My Cars:

Xantia ABS

Post by Benito »

The ABS light on the control panel has suddenly decided to remain on on a 1994 Xantia TD SX. Could this really be a fault with the ABS or could it just be a fault with the sensor? The brakes seem to work the same as before, i.e. the ABS seems to be working fine.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If the light is coming on, then the ABS computer has shut off - you will have normal brakes, but the ABS won't activate. Most likely cause is a failed wheel sensor - see other recent threads about solving this. Possible I suppose that the wire to the lamp has chafed through and is causing a short making the light come on.
Richard
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

It can also mean that the ABS computer has doubtful values on it's signal inputs - so check the large connecter on the side of the ABS computer for contact corrosion (just slight corrosion can cause no end of problems).
//NiSk
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

My light would come on randomly, and for the last three weeks had been on all the time.
I checked the terminals on the ECU block at the weekend, and diagnosed a problem with the front right sensor.
On Monday, during heavy braking, some WD40 / Grease that was around the hub area decided to smoke quite heavily ( although there was NONE on the brakes / pads ) - to the extent that I was looking for a fire extinguisher.
Since then, the ABS has been working perfectly ( including the front right ) !!!
I suppose it saves me ( for the moment ) checking it all out again <g>.
Mat.

Post by avatar »

As ever it's a good idea to check the cheapest/most obvious things first. Connections, fuses ,relays, wiring breaks, earthing etc. before you move on to the expensive stuff ABS ECU etc
Benito
My Cars:

Post by Benito »

Thank you for all the pointers! I´ll report back to let you know how I get on!