barrel broken: remove ign lock?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chueewowee
My Cars:

barrel broken: remove ign lock?

Post by chueewowee »

Hi, my ignition switch key barrel is definately broken. I got the key in, but with a broken portion at the tip, after I pushed barrel broken pins in, but cannot turn the barrel.
So I need to remove the switch, and to do that I need to push that retaining pin in. How exactly do I do it? I heard you can depress it with a punch, but I haven't been able to. Also I heard about the chisel and hammer method. What is that exactly?
Any advice welcome. (Also any ignition switches)
John Plum
BX TDZ (H reg)
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I removed mine with a hammer and punch, the spring loaded part is circular and about 4mm dia, it is this bit that should withdraw inwards when the key is turned
, that and the 8mm bolt is all that holds the lock in is all thats in your way, I merely smacked it with a small centrepunch and it went in far enough to remove the lock, next good news is that I have been rummaging in the pile of stuff that lives in my garage and I have a spare switch complete with keys, where are you John? I am in Wrexham North Wales.
Stewart
PS replies may become garbled, today is my birthday:0
chueewowee
My Cars:

Post by chueewowee »

I'm in Anglesey N. Wales! Yes, I'd have it.
Happy Birthday Oilyspanner. Thanks for the info. I have tried bashing it with a punch. Must try again.
John.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Harder! Harder, (-expletive removed-) it. birthday ghammered
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

im still not convinced about this violent solution everytime the barrel fails!
Surely its easier to just unbolt the big piece of metal that the barrel and indicators are held on by? I've never tried this, but even if the dead lock wont come out of the steering column, there is a unit only a couple of inches away and you can take the whole lot off and swap for a working set? I have the advantage of having said big piece of metal in the garage as a spare, along with a couple of barrels. It's not really the most secure car, but then what is in this day and age?