Engine Fan Kick In

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Engine Fan Kick In

Post by mezuk04 »

Could someone list some common errors as to why my fan doesnt kick in, ive had the car since about July time and never once had it switch on, now my mate got it going by doing the wire cross over trick so the fan itself does actually spin, took it in for a service in August time and the chap said that there wasnt a problem with it what so ever, however had the engine running idle the other night and the temp gauge read about 105 but still no fan, and ive never actually ever had the fan kick in by itself until we did that cross over with the wire, i believed we replaced the thermostat (wilkbob may say differ) when we first thought about the problem, but i still have a feeling that it doesnt actually work.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

All fuses OK? Could be that the thermo switch in the rad is duff. You can check for current with a multi meter see if any is passing through.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Did your mate get the fan(s) going by unplugging the wiring connector from the rad switch and bridging the contacts, if so there probably isn't anything wrong, but to find out you would have to test the switch in a saucepan of water with a thermometer on the stove.
Dave
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

We replaced the thermo switch, and I believe the thermostat was replaced when the car was serviced (might check that as well). Any help with this one would be appreciated, because its been puzzling me for a while now. Might test the old one since its already out of the rad.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

have you flushed and bled the rad? Dirt build up on the sensor can be a killer.
Checked the resistor? that could be dead and on low speed there would be no kick in of the fans. THat said by 105 the full speed should kick in.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Have had another look today. The fan works when you put a piece of wire across 2 of the 3 terminals on the connector to the thermoswitch. (so this says it is entirely switch related) I tested the old switch, which appears to be dead.
My only thought now is that the "new" switch is also dead. Could anyone tell me the pin outs of the thermoswitch (its the type with 3 pins)?
I have looked at the relay for the fan, which was fairly dirty and the terminals were a bit corroded, however when replaced with another it has no affect.