Clutch Lube

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anno888
My Cars:

Clutch Lube

Post by anno888 »

Hi all,
The clutch on my Xantia has not operated smoothly for the last month or so. I have greased the clutch pedal mount(pivot) and this has made a huge difference (but not fixed it completely.
What I have noticed is that now with the very cold weather setting in, when I start the car in the mornings the clutch is silky smooth and stays that way for 15 mins or so and then starts to feel a bit (jerky) again.
What I suspect (it's a long shot) is that with all the frost(dew) whatever you may call it, this is acting as a lubricant for the cable untill it dries.
My question is, how easy is it to lubricate the clutch cable?
Could it be anything else????????
Cheers
Its a 94 Xantia 2.0 8v hatch.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Sounds more like adjustment is required. The gearbox is warming up and the clutch is getting stiffer. I suggest that it is not disengaging fully. Try tightening the cable a fraction.
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

I'll try tightening the cable a bit.
The clutch bites Ok and disengages Ok. It seems that it's the travel in the pedal. Like the cable is sticking. It makes it hard finding the bite point.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I know exactly what you mean, I often find the cable on my ZX td moves much more freely in such conditions, it only has to be cold and damp though not freezing, I think it could be the formation of condensation inside the cable, but like you have found that it doesn't last long and soon stiffens up again, perhaps we could be getting ready for new cables.
Dave