That Wretched Brake Caliper Bolt!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris55000
My Cars:

That Wretched Brake Caliper Bolt!!!!!

Post by Chris55000 »

Evening Gents!!!!!
Sorry to be a pain, I'm STILL stuck with that wretched brake-caliper bolt on my brakeless Xantia!!! Shining an umpteen-thousand-cp light borrowed from work on it revealed some wassock (definitely not I!!!) has completely destroyed the Torx recess (if that's what it ever was!!!) and now nothing'll fit in it to unscrew it - I'm going to try a nut-splitter on its head next!!![:(]
Could Jon or a similar knowledgeable chappie tell me the part no, and a good Cit parts counter that'll have (or can get) these, ***OR***, if anyone's got any Xantias used only for spares, could they pop a couple of these bolts in the post to me please? (I'll gladly refund postage if desired)[?]
Getting out to scrappies on public-transport's a right pain - any suggestions where I can
pick up s/h bits from in the Birmingham area that's accessible by bus would be greatly appreciated!!!
If anyone's able to assist with a spare bolt or two, my address is 110 Reservoir Road,
Erdington, Birmingham B23 6DL.
Many thanks for help to my previous questions!!![:)]
In this cold winter weather I don't want to have to trail about more than I have to!!!
Chris Williams
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

There is a gadget you can get that mechanics use to get headbolts out with as well as other things that shear heads off. I don't know it's name (not a nut splitter) this is more like a pair of multi grips but with one solid handle & with one jaw spring loaded. The harder you push, the harder it grabs and it will release anything capable of being released. I would reckon that there's enough space in there to get one on & I'd reckon it would have you out of trouble in seconds.
If it's any help, they come in various sizes too.
May be worth enquiring at the local tool shop giving them that description as I'm sure they'd know what it was. Not expensive either; I think I paid around A$15 for mine (A fiver in your language)
Alan S
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

I cant remember what its called, But I know ive got one in my tool box at work, lol
£5 ish is about the right price too.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Could you possibly mean a stud remover?
Like this?
http://store1.yimg.com/I/autotoolexpress_1821_830611
//NiSk
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Nope; think of a shifting spanner with jaws like a pair of multigrips but one is fixed an the other spring loaded.
Alan S
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

I think mine are called Vicelock, them or a pair of good quaility Stilsons should do the trick.
The Vicelocks are better, but more difficult to find.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
if the nut is tight and rusted I really think your wasting your time with vice grips.
The only real choice is to grab a torx key or alan key and weld it into the head of the bolt. I'm guessing you don't have a MIG however I'm sure an exhaust place could do this for you. It's then a matter of replacing the already destroyed bolt on re-assembly.
good luck!
Shane L.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The easiest way to get this chuff out because of poor accessibility is simply to drill the head off, remove one of the other bolts first to ascertain the size of it, start with a drill that just fits inside the bolt head socket, drill a couple of millimeters in to get a centre for a smaller drill, then drill in just past the depth of the head, change drills for larger ones up to the diameter of the bolt, the head will then drop off and the threaded portion can be retrieved afterwards.
I think the bolt is 12mm but not 100% sure, it could be 10mm, high tensile socket cap screws (allen headed bolts) are readily available from engineers suppliers and fastener suppliers such as Infast.com who have branches around the uk, just take a bolt and they will match it up for you if you don't know how bolt sizes and threads are expressed, best get a full set.
Dave