Earthing Points?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Scooby
My Cars:

Earthing Points?

Post by Scooby »

I Have a 94 Xantia 1.9 TD. The problem is that the front windows will not operate but the rear ones are O.K. the fuse is O.K. and the relay makes a clicking sound,so that's ok,I think. the Indicators and Hazard lights do not work either. Also, when i try the front windows it sets the alarm off! The info I have seen on this forum leads me to suspect an earthing problem, I know there are 7 under the battery but where are the others? The Haynes Manual? Yeah Right! Any ideas?
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

have they worked peviously?
are the switches lighting up?, it yes then they are getting power.
you could try one of the switches from the rear on the front wiring loom.
had a simlair problem with one of my rear windows, found out that the motor had got stuck, a little bit of pull! and hey presto, it worked.
Scooby
My Cars:

Post by Scooby »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shaunthesheep</i>

have they worked peviously?
are the switches lighting up?, it yes then they are getting power.
you could try one of the switches from the rear on the front wiring loom.
had a simlair problem with one of my rear windows, found out that the motor had got stuck, a little bit of pull! and hey presto, it worked.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I forgot to mention, the hazard lights don't work either so I'm beginning to suspect a bad earth, but where are they?
Chris55000
My Cars:

Post by Chris55000 »

Hi!!!
It certainly does seem like you have a corroded earth point - both the front electric windows and the whole of the indicator circuitry is returned to battery -ve via earth point M001 under the battery.
The indicators are also fed via fuses F26 feeding the hazard switch and the flasher relay
direct from battery +ve for hazard operation, with an ign. controlled feed from F28 for
normal driving operation.
If neither hazard nor normal indicators work then you need to check the earth return at the "equipotential earthing post" B002 which has a brown plug with three wires MB002,
M19D and M02D connected to it.
If one or other functions only is missing, check F26 for hazard operation and F28 for
driving operation. Both of these are in the driver's facia fusebox.
If both are intact then check the flasher unit relay - this has a 3 pin grey connector.
Its connections are 230 input from the hazard flasher switch, 231 to the indicator stalk switch and an earth return M230 back to the earthing point B002.
If this is OK you need to check the hazard flasher switch itself for continuity - this has four contacts internally with an 8-way black plug on the back of it.
With the switch out for normal operation, continuity should be measured across leads
230 and A28E, whilst when pressed in for hazard operation you should get continuity between leads 230 and B26, and also 232, 2330 and 2340 simultaneously to connect all the indicator circuits both sides to the flasher unit relay output 232.
French cars don't as a rule use wiring colours, they use a small no of colours, e.g.
red, green and black with the circuits individually numbered - the numbers I've mentioned above can usually be found in tiny numbers at several places along the wire's insulation.
I've dealt with the indicators in detail first as you need 'em for driving - I'll follow this up with instructions for your windows shortly!!!![:)]
Chris Williams
Chris55000
My Cars:

Post by Chris55000 »

Hi!!!
As a PS to the above I'll have a look for the earth returns on my car 2mrw when its light again and tell you exactly where to find it!!![:)]
Chris Williams
Scooby
My Cars:

Post by Scooby »

Hi Chris
Thanks for the info, although some of it went over my head,but there is plenty to work on there.
Scooby
My Cars:

Post by Scooby »

Well, I had to bite the bullet...yes I took it to a garage, I'd tried everything I knew! Turns out it was the Main Feed(?)at fault, so,that plus a new M.O.T. set me back a hundred Squid , not too bad really.