Xantia broken cambelt.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tris

Xantia broken cambelt.

Post by tris »

Just had a phonecall saying that my cousin's '95 xantia TD has suffered cam belt failure. Details are a bit vague. Say the worse case scenario has occurred and some valves have bent and a new/ re-con head is needed. What sort of rough price am I looking at for new parts?
beezer

Post by beezer »

I have seen recon heads for just under 300 quid online.
http://www.ukcylinderheads.co.uk/Diesel ... headPrices
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

The sort of carnage you can expect to see. Sorry!
tris

Post by tris »

hmm, metalflake surprise!
Hey its christmas! maybe my cousins bad luck will turn into my good luck when I pull the engine apart and discover that the cambelt broke at TDC! Wouldn't that nice, ey ey???
Or maybe the cylinder head has flown through the bonnet into a nearby field being admired by a curious farm animal. Who knows??
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Thats only the LHS of the cam, the RHS was also bust above number 4 pot and the bearing caps had split too. Thats the problem with these engines, you can't just replace the bearing caps as they are line bored at the factory. I believe you can't use second hand ones and there is a chance the cam can seize. Nice........
beezer

Post by beezer »

Even if the belt snapped at tdc the crank and valvegear spin on until the inevitable contact does the damage. You need to check the state of the pistons too. Sounds gloomy and unfortunately it usually is.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Worst case, bent valves, damaged guides, broken bearing caps and bent studs.
I have successfully replaced cam caps with used ones (collect the studs too, they will be bent) If incident happened at low rpms not damaging any valves the head can stay on so remove remains of cam, remove followers turn engine to a position off TDC and look at tops of valves, if all at same height and all can be "bounced" with hammer then no valve damage.
Stewart
acrowot
My Cars:

Post by acrowot »

Dont forget to add the cost of a gasket and headbolt set, set me back about £60.00 for these on top of the recon. head.
beezer

Post by beezer »

The website I gave a link for is offering new headbolts for Peugeot and Citroen 1.9 engines at the moment. Gasket should be 10 - 12 quid at a factors.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

In your position I'd be putting a bid in for this ebay item 4513629078, got to be much better than any recon head.
Dave
tris

Post by tris »

nice one!
might have a pop at that
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Burns</i>

In your position I'd be putting a bid in for this ebay item 4513629078, got to be much better than any recon head.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Is a s/h engine always better than a recon head? It's arguably less faff to put in, but you don't know if it is about to fail horribly. This chap does buy a fair amount of 'performance car' parts according to his ebay feedback and did crash into a deer, so the engine may not had a particularly easy life. (Of course this is circumstantial evidence at best - it could happen to anyone).
Tris, you might also want to consider andytgz's engine - that's out of a Xantia so less fiddling about with different bits, and for sale at GBP 90, but more miles (200K).
Look's like we are both loking for approximately the same thing :-) I can't decide wether to go for this ebay one or pay more for something with a better pedigree (and the intercooler in the right place for my van).
tris

Post by tris »

My cousin hase taken the car to a local garage to remove the head and access the situation. Apparently the mechanic has another Xantia going for £400. Model unknown but its a petrol motor. Apparently from a lady owner, so could be in any sort of condidtion, he he.