Fuel consumption

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davethewheel</i>

i don't understand all you people getting 40mpg or less, my td xantia has 130k on the clock my driving is a mixture of motorway and town driving and i always get the same 46/48mpg.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There's not much to understand; some people have heavier right feet than others!
Simon
Chris55000
My Cars:

Post by Chris55000 »

Hi!!!
My first Xantia was a 1994 1.9TDSX (XUD9T lump I think!!!) and this gave me 652 miles average on a 65-litre fillup from fumes-I measured the consumption by carrying
a couple of canfuls of fuel, then letting it run dry, adding 5 litres to the tank and then refilling it to the filler-neck at the closest garage, noting the mileometer reading,
then letting it run down to fumes again!!![:)]
I'd be suspicious of any mileage on a full tank much less than 600 with one of these cars!!!
Chris Williams
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My 40mpg is an average.I have got about 48mpg before,but driving sooo refined.My 40mpg average is a bit of town driving,but mainly motorway to work.I dont exactly hang around in the morning,3 figure speeds to work,hence about 40mpg.I do have a bit of a heavy right foot.I use Sainsburys fuel mostly.I have noticed before when it was overdue for a service that the car was running a bit worse,ie a bit more sluggish than normal.But then no 2 cars or peoples driving styles are the same.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

If you're overdue a servie 15-20K ago, then a new set of filters (especially air) will work wonders.
If this is your first diesel, then the state the air filter gets in on a diesel will open your eyes.
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Eh? Nobody mentioned about driving with air-con on or off. It makes a marked difference to fuel consumption.
stevieb5796
My Cars:

Post by stevieb5796 »

Merry christmas to all of you.
Right from having a quick read down the page I have a couple of comments...
I didn't purposefully 'go up a car size and expect a better mileage'. Some 18 year old in a clio wrote my Orion off or I'd still be driving it. As it happens I much prefer my Xantia now. I do realise though that they aren't really a fair comparison due to the weight differences.
But on the plus side my fuel light came on briefly today but then went off after about a mile as the guage rose that extra bit they always do. And the bottom part of the gauge went a lot slower so I'm nudging 430 miles or so. I would imagine if I were to let it run right down to nothing I would get over 500 miles seeing as the entire reserve is yet to be used. As long as it's 10p per mile or less I'm happy lol.
But points taken about getting a service done. I would do it myself but I really don't know what I'm doing and for it's first service in a while by the looks of things I'd rather get someone to do it who knows their stuff lol.
I'm sure once it's been serviced and stuff it will get a better mileage.
Must say though, much MUCH better drive than the Orion was. I can see why everyone's so passionate about them :)
Happy New year to you all
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Just done my first tank of diesel in the AX - 65MPG! - Happy --- Oh yes yes yes!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Marty, the best thing is, it stays around that level, unless you're doing something really wrong.
I've just replaced the fuel filter ( after realising I was tightening it... ), and it's now more responsive. The MPG had dipped to only 59mpg, I hope this fixes it !
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

I am not sure what that the air filter has to do with the fuel consumption??
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

That explains why you're only getting 38 mpg then!
Have a search through the archived posts, this had been discussed several times.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

If the air filter is dirty,the engine has to work harder,hence more fuel is burned.Same as a fuel filter.TD`s need a air filter every 6k miles.After a summer of working on building sites,my a/filter was filthy.Due to not having any free w/ends,my car was over due for a service.It made a difference to the mpg with a fresh service.Only about 3 mpg,but add that up over a year of driving.....
The car was also more responsive afterwards as well.
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

cheers np fot this info
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Just done my first tank of diesel in the AX - 65MPG! - Happy --- Oh yes yes yes!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
They really are great for economy. I remember driving to Shropshire in my mothers old 14TZD, and due to the agony my back was in from the seat/pedals (I am 6'5"...) I was really giving it some stick; constant 90-95 (not foot to the floor though).
I brimmed the tank again in Shropshire to go home, and was amazed to find I'd got 57mpg!