Hydraulic Wierdness

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Well I get in and start up and by the time I've put the stereo in, lit a fag and faffed about it's ready to go. I just thought a short wait was a Xantia quirk as my mkI did it too.
Being auto I've put it in D before and its shot forward because the brakes haven't pressurised and I have to grab the handbrake!!
The suspension never moves a great deal, but sometimes the front struts do a big 'fart' and drops a bit if I drive the car again after having stopped for about an hour. Again my old one did this too and although I realise it wasn't built that way I wasn't particularly worried.
My MkII also doesn't stop at the intermediate height and goes straight up to the highest position which again I read wasn't too terrible.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
dan
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Mine also didn't hold the intermediate height, which should be 4 cm above the normal. So I adjusted the linkage and it's fine now. It's 1.8 16v SX '98 (mkII)
Also, front end sometimes drops a bit (peharps 1-2 cm) when I start the engine after having stopped for hour or two, which is preceeded by the sound of front anti-sink valve opening (trrrrrr). Nothing to worry about.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Alex, my car is anti sink, but how do I know which pump I have? I've never understood the X+X business. My pump has about 6 large torx headed screws(?) around its periphery, I seem to recall from an earlier thread somewhere that it's these which determine your 'pump numbers'
Could you throw some light on the subject for me as this is far more interesting than wrapping presents!
thanks for your help so far :)
Jon

Post by Jon »

6 Piston pump, has one metal and one rubber pipe going to it, and the car has a flow distribution valve.
6 + 2 Pump, has 2 metal and 1 rubber pipe, car does not have flow valve. I believe that this is the type of pump fitted to your car as they were introduced at the same time as anti sink.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

All Xantias with anti-sink (from somewhere '94 on) have 6+2 pump and no flow-distributor valve on the pressure regulator. Only 2 pistons are used for suspension/brakes, other 6 for PAS.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Many thanks Jon, I'll have a look.
MCahNY