How to replace ignition switch (lock on)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chueewowee
My Cars:

How to replace ignition switch (lock on)

Post by chueewowee »

Any advice appreciated on how to rplace the BX ignition switch with steering lock on.
The key wont go in any more (barrel is faulty)
Cheers,
John
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

From own experience I'd say go a long way trying to get the key in. The rest is so much easier then.
The problem is dead sure one of the small springloaded code tumblers that has released itself out in the key entry slot.
The method is then (using a good torchlight) to try fiddle the tumbler into its place, using a large gauge paperclip (or similar).
Once in place it's held using a thin gauge paperclip while you calmly insert the key, and then withdraw the paperclip homing the key.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

John
As a last resort before you change the complete barrel assembly. Try filing the V at the end of the key to a more chisel type point. May help to raise any tumbler pins that have become displaced.
Normally you need the key to be inserted to replace the complete barrel to enable the locking pin to be depressed to withdraw the complete assembly, so you may have to resort to the hammer and chisel method.
Try driving a blade into the barrel, slightly thinner than the key, if successful, rotate to the first line on the chrome bezel, remove the 7mm?? headed bolt, then depress the small pin protruding from the casing to remove the switch.
Multipin connectors for the four red, four white?? cables are behind the cowling, to the left of the clutch pedal.
Best of luck
R
Peter
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If you use a hammer and punch the small pin that stops the lock coming out can be "depressed" if you dont have any luck getting the key in, this method works best when you have another lock/switch to fit
Stewart