Car stereo installation advice please!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieb5796
My Cars:

Car stereo installation advice please!

Post by stevieb5796 »

Hello again,
One day maybe (but don't hold me to it) I might give some advice instead of constantly asking for it.... But until then....
I managed to wrench my stereo out of my orion, so i'm looking forward to having MP3's back in my car!! Road Radio down the road sell the fascia adaptor for a tenner which is by far the cheapest I've seen it. However, is it easy to install? I have a 94 Xantia 1.9TD and it looks like there's a plastic lip over the stereo edges as part of the dash trim.. Does that just pull off and the citroen stereo pull out easily? I managed to install this one in my orion a year or two ago, but this looks trickier. It probably isnt... but i'd appreciate some advice..
Thanks
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Pull out the ashtray and under there you will find two screws which when removed allow you to pull the facia panel out from the bottom. You will then see a couple of screws to release the stereo.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

I would heartily recommend searching out a genuine Cit facia adaptor - not only do they hide your stereo they come with a little bit of trim to go round the heater controls.
With most after market ones you cant refit the original trim - its too big, and the heater controls sans trim look pants.
Otherwise as Richard said - easy job - though sometimes to get adaptor to fit you have to remove the plastic cover plate over top of heater controls - just dont loose any screws down there....
Apologies for the mobile phone speaker in corner of photo.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've got a genuine Citroen adapter, they are good quality plastic, well made and have a flap that covers the stereo. The flap is damped too, so it closes slowly.
I'd recommend the genuine rather than an aftermarket one, I've not heard good things about the aftermarket ones (sharp edges, poor quality moulding and design and no flap.).
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Posted by martyhopkirk <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I would heartily recommend searching out a genuine Cit facia adaptor - not only do they hide your stereo they come with a little bit of trim to go round the heater controls.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Does this mean that you can hide the stereo away with the adaptor, like in the BX, where the facia has a cover that comes out which hides the radio. Which is a great idea, with the radio hidden it improves security.
So, is this the same thing as in the BX, please could you advise.
Posted by Richard Gallagher
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Pull out the ashtray and under there you will find two screws which when removed allow you to pull the facia panel out from the bottom. You will then see a couple of screws to release the stereo. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
On my Xantia the temperature control on the heater, and the fan speed control are not are not being back lit like the rest of the dash controls. So would this be the way to access the dash to replace the bulb or bulbs.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Yep its just like a stealth kenwood set up!
If i get chance i will photo my install.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

That would be very useful if you can. [:)]
Thanking you in advance for your assisttance, and wishing you a Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year. [:)]
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

Ive got a sony - citroen steering remote wiring loom if you are interested.
it allows you to keep the steering wheel remote controls.
message me if you want it.
dom
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

How does that one work then Dom? Got a Sony set myself you see..... (messaging service not working).
Marty
beezer

Post by beezer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

How does that one work then Dom? Got a Sony set myself you see..... (messaging service not working).
Marty
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It is an interface which, I believe, works by assigning a particular resistance for each button on the stalk control. This tells the stereo what to do - e.g. volume up or down. All done with a chip which is encased in a plastic box. Plugs in the remote socket of your Sony unit (three pole jack). Costs a lot for what it is but then people are willing to pay for it. Ebay usually has them for sale. You need to match both your unit make and your car make/model.
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It is an interface which, I believe, works by assigning a particular resistance for each button on the stalk control. This tells the stereo what to do - e.g. volume up or down. All done with a chip which is encased in a plastic box. Plugs in the remote socket of your Sony unit (three pole jack).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
that is basicly how it works, heres whats written on the instruction leaflet. "will fit all citroen xantia steering wheel controls, will fit all sony head untis with rm-x2s or rm-x4s joystick ports"
stevieb5796
My Cars:

Post by stevieb5796 »

Thanks for the help, any idea what I might be looking to pay for one of the original adapters? Anyone got one they wanna sell? I'll give the dealer a call in the morning but I imagine I will be paying through the nose!
I'll take a screwdriver with me to the car tomorrow morning and pull out the stereo, then when I drive past that shop I will look to see whether their faceplate (fp 12-00-00 which seems to be the most common one about on-line and ebay) will allow the trim to sit back over it...
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Ebay is possibly your best bet - though cheaper if you can find a dealer with NOS.
You need a torx bit.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shaunthesheep</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It is an interface which, I believe, works by assigning a particular resistance for each button on the stalk control. This tells the stereo what to do - e.g. volume up or down. All done with a chip which is encased in a plastic box. Plugs in the remote socket of your Sony unit (three pole jack).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
that is basicly how it works, heres whats written on the instruction leaflet. "will fit all citroen xantia steering wheel controls, will fit all sony head untis with rm-x2s or rm-x4s joystick ports"
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How much?
Citroenax@fsmail.net
beezer

Post by beezer »

New they are around 30 quid www.autoleads.co.uk - they supply the motor stores like the big 'H'.