Citroen zx single point injection carb

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ben3

Citroen zx single point injection carb

Post by ben3 »

i live in blackpool lancs area and i am trying to track down a good second hand zx 1.4 webber single point injection carb but to no avail any one got one or can u point me in right direction of one plzzzzz.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Can't you get a repair kit for the one you have? they generly have all the bits you need.
ben3

Post by ben3 »

no idea never thought of that as this is my first Citroen only had it a month does the kit have all the censors and jets ect and are they easy to fit.[:)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Try this http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/
They may not be local to you but they may be able to answer you quetions regard to the sensors. I know that the kits come with all the jest and seale etc.
Aldon due postage aswell I think.
ben3

Post by ben3 »

thanks for info stuart will try them and see may be a way foward cheers.[:)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ben3</i>

i live in blackpool lancs area and i am trying to track down a good second hand zx 1.4 webber single point injection carb but to no avail any one got one or can u point me in right direction of one plzzzzz.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
What is the problem with it - if it is s/p injection, you might consider getting it ultrasonically cleaned an rebuilding with a kit.
BTW, it is 'Citroen' - check on your boot lid [}:)]
ben3

Post by ben3 »

the problem is uses plenty of petrol and i mean plenty!!! also when i slow at junctions and traffic lights it takes a while for revs to drop can rev for a min or two then drop to tick over and in mornin when u drive with foot of revs it can speed up then drop back any ideas i put this down to carb....?[:)]
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

there's a new one on eBay!
ben3

Post by ben3 »

looked on ebay m8 cant find the carb can u tell me were or even better post a link m8 thank you.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

You got off lightly! Mike usually imposes fifty lines for Citroen and the paramilitary wing hand out punishment beatings! That won't solve your problem, though. Single point injection is basically a spray nozzle that is set up to give a timed squirt which gets longer, as the throttle is opened and shorter as the engine warms up. It is very easy to burn the cost of several tankfuls of fuel by replacing bits on a guesswork basis.
Many of the more experienced hands on this forum have been at it long enough to consider spending money as a last resort. They would go about it like this:
Firstly, they would check all the plumbing in the air pipes leading to and from the throttle body(Like a carburettor, as you have already worked out) and checked by removing them, one by one, that they are both tightly fitted and clear of gunge and debris. They would follow this up with a suspicious look at any engine breathers. Once these are beyond reproach, the obvious thing to do would be to check all the connections thoroughly and then the coolant temperature sensor.
The cost of a simple multimeter is about a tenner. It will pay for itself at least a hundred times in its working life so should be regarded as an investment. Give the sensor the once over, Pulling it out and boiling it in a pan on the hob if necessary. If it is duff, then you may well have the same effect as a stuck choke. Same if an airway was blocked. If your heater is suspiciously lazy (Slow to warm up)and you are cold, that will point to a thermostat being duff. That will stop the sensor from heating up in the first place, so it won't be the sensor's fault that it drinks! Changing the stat is worthwhile if that is the case but don't skimp on the antifreeze!
Assuming that these bits check out ok, try a couple of pints of paraffin in the next tankful of petrol. Nothing like it for cleaning all the delicate bits within the carb.
Gather information on the net on where the sensors are and what they do because Citroens are not that different to ordinary cars and once you understand what is playing up, the problem can be narrowed down both quickly and cheaply. Above all: come back to us for advice. Describe the bit you are thinking of working on as clearly as you can, because you won't be the first to suffer this problem, and somebody on here with relevant experience will be eager to help. Getting it right first time is enormously satisfying and because the throttle body is generally very long lived, I'd guess that just swapping it won't cure the problem, so dig a little deeper friend.
I hope that that has encouraged you a little, Good Luck.
ben3

Post by ben3 »

thanks for the info it is all greatfully received ive had mainly fords pugs and renaults so i know little about citreons ins and outs will check all and get back to u with results in near future thank you.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

A Citroen is much the same as a Pug mate & a lot of parts are used between both companys.
They are both PSA cars at the end of the day.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I was wondering around a breakers again today, this theroy of Rover lumps (220 range) would fit in a citroen might be right. I always look at the most obvious engine mount, common on the PSA group, the mount to the left (drivers) of the engine bay. A Rovver 220 I was looking at had the same mount. mmmm Rover Coupe Turbo, in a AX/ZX mmmm