car body wobble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vic
My Cars:

car body wobble

Post by vic »

Hi there
Can anyone help me with a car wobble I am having with my xantia 19 TD L reg
When crawling along in traffic the car body is wobbling side to side and feels like the car is limping this is less than 10mph
When I put my foot down it goes away, or I don’t feel it until I get the 70mph when the car feels rough similar to a wheel balance problem.
All the tires are off my old ford which were near new and were balanced when fitted to the xantia
I hope someone can help
Vic
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Drive shaft springs to mind
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Vic, look for a buckled rim or wheel, a tyre with a bulge which can happen from a relatively minor impact even on new tyres. Either way it is wheel related. The only way to check for a buckled wheel is lift each one and spin them. Remember the inside rim which cannot easily be seen. Good luck, Robin
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stempy</i>

Drive shaft springs to mind
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Did'nt know drive shafts had springs[:D][:D][:D]
vic
My Cars:

Post by vic »

Thanks for that info Robin
I jacked up all four wheels one by one and found no bulge on any tyre
I used a square block of wood and placed it at the side of the tyre then turned the wheel. All four tyres were running out, near side rear massive warp. The block of wood was just a rough guide
All I can think off is the Citroen alloy rims are pissed. Checked the wheel bearings and there is no play on any wheel. Looked from the back of the car and the rear wheels are in a straight line.
At weekend I will removed the wheels and get one of those gauges on a stand and test to see how much if any run out on the disc.
Got this car for nothing, it was on the way to the scrap yard because the turbo did not work. It worked when I put the pipes on properly. Goes like s**t off a stick getting 55 plus MPG. So it is worth spending a bit of money on it.
Thanks again for the help anymore ideas are welcome.
vic
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Look for play in the front suspension
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi I had the same problem on a renault 18 a few years back, when crawling along it was shakin it's ass!.One of the back tyres had a bad twist to it ,get someone to drive it very slowly while you watch from the back . Regards john.
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

I suggest swapping the tyres around. If the characteristics of the wobble change, you can be sure it is tyre/wheel related.