Coolant - again. Drain it properly!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davek-uk
My Cars:

Coolant - again. Drain it properly!

Post by davek-uk »

With many people beginning to think of coolant replacements before winter I have seen this thread on e~c~p forum (http://www.euro~car~parts.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5627). Basically, someone was concerned that they only replaced about 5 litres of coolant in a 1.9TD system that is supposed to contain 9 litres. Yep, they didn't drain the block. I suspect that many people don't drain the block either.
If you change the coolant without draining the block you are only replacing a little over half of the old coolant. If you add a strong 50/50 mixture of new stuff this in effect becomes a 25% strength new antifreeze - probably not good for anti-corrosion.
I guess garages pump the new antifreeze solution in and this would overcome any draining but DIYers should beware. A poor coolant mix could lead to corrosion.
Any other thoughts from the more experienced?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Not really thought about this one in quite this context because my coolant never gets beyond two years old anyway. Regular partial flushing every year maintains a high new to old ratio.
However in many of the marine units I deal with we run on 100% glycol based coolant and I have done this with my car engines on occasion.
The marine issue is to ensure no one fills the system with sea water and to ensure a zero corrosion environment. You can't just call out the AA in the middle of the Atlantic!
100% Glycol used to be advised by Land Rover I think when used in hot climates, certainly my old 2.2 petrol which was an ex Cambridge University field vehicle from Jordan had a sticker telling the driver to only use 100% glycol fluid. Higher boiling point I believe. Also stopped them pinching the water from the radiator[:D]
Just my thoughts. Robin
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I have never bothered to drain the block as such, but I do always remove the radiator hoses and flush the cooling system and the rad itself through with a strong blast of water from a hosepipe until it runs completely clear from all directions. Then I reconnect the hoses, put a "header tank" arrangement into the expansion bottle and pour the full 5 litres of 100% pure antifreeze straight in. I then top up with a small amount of tap water as necessary and bleed the air out. That means with a 9 litre system its running with roughly a 56% antifreeze content.
I have in the past run a variety of Citroen engines with nearly 95% antifreeze without causing any problems, certainly I've never had a head gasket or heater matrix go on any of them, or any overheating.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

In retrospect, how do you drain the block? I am about due a coolant change on my Xantia so any advice is appreciated.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by adzbaby</i>

In retrospect, how do you drain the block? I am about due a coolant change on my Xantia so any advice is appreciated.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
On an XUD, the drain plug is located in an inaccessable position on the rear face of the engine, on the gearbox side. I think it is about 6 inches higher than the sump flange...
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

Jack it up, crawl underneath, undo plug, and get out of the way quick!
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

When i drained the coolant on my XUD, i drained the block but only a tiny dribble came out. I poked around in case it was blocked, but nothing else came out.
I put very nearly 9 litres back in, so in my experience if you are just changing the coolant it is not necessary to drain the block as the amount left in it is insignificant.It would be worth draining the block however if you were say, changing the headgasket to avoid coolant getting into the cylinders.