my BX is using way too much fuel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

my BX is using way too much fuel

Post by wonderd »

my car is 1991, 1600 carb engine, it has a subaru carb.
until a few weeks ago it was using 1 liter of gas for every 11 km.
now it's using a lot more.
what could cause the sudden change??????
and another thing - it is feeling a bit too bouncy on the frong of the car and it has a new main sphare, could the cause be the height of the car that might got changed?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I assume the carburettor has been fitted for a while and has been working correctly. Firstly i suggest you check all the usual service items, plugs, ignition and timing, air cleaner etc. I would then have a very good look at all fuel pipework going right back to the tank for leaks. I would also make sure that there are no leaks from tank vent pipes (Jon had trouble with a leak on his TD) If there is a leak you may well be able to smell it.
Having done that I'd check the operation of whtever choke it has (manual or automatic), operation of the second choke if it has one and also the crankcase ventilation system.
If its not that then is it running properly - could be ignition leads, ignition amplifier or whatever.
The front height corrector can be a source of ride problems on an otherwise sound car. If the front suspension spheres are sound (engine running - normal height, can the front be pushed down?) and the struts are not partially siezed a stick height corrector can make the car ride low and too close to the bump stops in the struts. Often the corrector will respond to greasing the operating rod that connects it to the remainder of the linkage. in theory its not difficult but in practice it may be. you may be able to get at it down the back of the engine on a 1600, you certainly get at it this way on a TD. To lubricate the rod a brush full of grease may help. Oil will not last and spray grease works for a short while.
Jeremy
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Thank you jeremy, i will check all that and get back to you with results.
elad.