Xantia timing belt cockup??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gwam
My Cars:

Xantia timing belt cockup??

Post by gwam »

Hi there. I've just changed the cambelt on my '94 1.8 8valve. It was very quiet running with 110k on the clock but has never had a change.
Firstly I marked the belt and pulleys then fitted the new belt. Unfortunately I convinced myself that the belt had slipped but have double checked that the pulley and cam sprockets line up and lock OK which they do.
Problem is the top end is now quite a bit noisier than it was. Sounds like valve clearances but can't understand why?? Is it possible I've managed to bend a valve or something?? Should the pistons be in MDC when the crank pulley is locked in place?? I'm thinking that the crank pulley rubber may have slipped 180 degrees.
Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated. The engine seems to be running smoothly enough...just the top end noise!
beezer

Post by beezer »

If your crank and cam sprockets line up and lock with pins then you must have got things right. What about belt tightness? How did you lock the crank when removing the pulley?
gwam
My Cars:

Post by gwam »

to undo the pulley bolt I attached and locked an extended wrench on a suspension arm and used the starter motor to turn crank and hence unwind the bolt. Timing belt was still attached at this point.
Belt tightness seems fine and hasn't slipped. I've even moved tha cam a couple of notches both ways but just a noisey and runs rougher!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

gwam -
I really think you should go by your markings
Read Shane's (doublechevron) article here : http://www.aussiefrogs.com/shane/xantia ... ambelt.htm
This picture in particular pinpoints the problem :