Feedback required!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dan.2cv
My Cars:

Feedback required!

Post by dan.2cv »

I'm thinking of changing my facelift xantia 1800 auto for a newer model, but I'm undecided as to which one to choose.
I've been really happy with the car except for its performance - I'd like something quicker.
I love auto's and wondered if the 2.0 would make much difference.
Tempted by the activa, but concerned about the complicated hydraulics and whether the ride is too hard. Is it really that fast anyway?
The HDi 110 looks good too, I don't do enough miles to benefit from the mpg, but loved my old BX TZD turbo estate!
And how about the V6 - are the above cars just better all round?
If you've got any of these (which is pretty much the whole bloody range anyway) let me know what you think and how it compares with other xantia's you've tried.
Cheers guys.
Look out for my car on the 'for sale' soon!! full history!!
ps, I'm only spending £2,500 - but have seen examples of all the above within this range.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

In my opinion the 2.0 is too heavy to be lumbered with an auto box, but obviously it would be better than the 1.8. I think the auto's all used the 8v engine as well.
As far as I am aware the Activa is manual only. It also weighs more than an estate (which was available with the same engine).
The V6 is auto only in the UK, if I was forced to have an auto then that would be the one.
I have a 2.0T estate, it isn't all that quick off the mark but surprises many people with it's acceleration at higher speeds. Great for overtaking. The hydractive does a decent job of taming the roll when you do chuck it around.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

The later autos are 16v. is the 2.0 much heavier than the 1.8?
how about the 2.0T, 8 or 16v?
I would prefer an auto, but realise a manual is the pay off for performance.
Would be great to test drive a few, but that's a bit hard when you can't bother main dealers for them any more!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dan.2cv</i>

Would be great to test drive a few, but that's a bit hard when you can't bother main dealers for them any more!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Do you HAVE to buy the car before a testdrive at UK main dealers ????
fastred
My Cars:

Post by fastred »

I ran a 1998 2.0 16V auto for two years -it is not really underpowered, but the engine characteristics are not all that well suited to an auto box, so that you need to put it in sport mode or change down manually to get significant performance.
I changed it for a 2000 V6 Exclusive auto 2 years ago - this is better, but, since Citroen raised the gearing to around 30mph per 1000rpm on this model, some of the expected benefit is lost. However, get the revs above 2000 and then things really happen. It is a very relaxed car to cruise in, and putting it into sport mode makes it a totally different animal.
Fuel consumption is about 3 to 4 mpg worse overall than in the 2.0 model - not a great worry to me as my annual mileage these days is only about 6k.
The other good thing is that almost all V6s seem to be in Exclusive trim, so there are lots of goodies for the money.
Citroen Centre in Oxford usually have 2 or 3 late ones in stock which you can test. His site currently shows 3 at £3-4 k (www.citroencentre.co.uk) No connection except as a customer.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I'll go along with Fastred. I had a 2.0 Auto VSX and although it had all the bells and whistles it was a bit lacking in grunt, so I chopped it in for a V6 which has enough grunt to pull the weight through an auto box. It'll stay with a Audi 1.8Turbo to give you some idea of performance. Got mine from Paul Johnson also.