Berlingo 2.0 HDI fuel consumption/ECU

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

numnut

Berlingo 2.0 HDI fuel consumption/ECU

Post by numnut »

Bought a new Berlingo 2.0 HDI which had a faulty ECU replaced after the airbag warning lights refused to go out. Before the repair I was getting 48-50 mpg but now it has dropped to 40-42 mpg. My journeys & driving style have not changed so the question is this. Has the new ECU solved one problem & caused another or is it just coincidence?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I'd definitely have a word with the repairer about that - its too much to ignore.
//NiSk
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

was it the airbag ECU that was replaced ? i cant really see that having anything to do with it.try resetting the counter then disconecting the battery for a few seconds,re conect & test it to see if its still the same.also maybe it was reading incorect before,now the repair has been done & it might be reading correctly ?? maybe someone with the same car could tell us what theirs reads ?
numnut

Post by numnut »

Thanks NiSK, thanks wheeler.
Dont know which ECU it was, as well as no airbag warning light I was sometimes getting 'low oil','no oil'or'full of oil' when the ignition was switched on even though the oil level was o.k. All this has stopped since the repair. Take your point about the readings being incorrect before & correct now. will try as you suggested & see what happens.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Also bear in mind that the weather is now colder and with HDI's taking an age to warm up consumption does drop this time of year.
My Berlingo is also using more fuel now than a couple of months ago.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Regarding the "taking ages to warm up" comment, how do you get on with warm air for the cabin? Or is there a supplementary heater for that?
Simon
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Simon. The Berlingo has a kind of pre-heater buried under pipe work above the gearbox. it seems to consist of 4 heater plugs in a housing to pre-heat the coolant. Doesn't do much good on my Bling as it's a nasty cold place to be, on these cold mornings. It takes a good 4 miles before enough heat to do some good appears. The Pug is the weapon of choice at the moment, due to heat coming through after 1/2 a mile. Oh, and 55 to the gallon around town helps too......