HEATER

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pikecrazy
My Cars:

HEATER

Post by pikecrazy »

It's either cold or hot [:(] depending which end of heater it is at, no in between any ideas ???
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Airlock ?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Please clarify question as it is ambiguous ? [:)]
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

When the heater is on cold and i move the lever a fraction to the right only a couple of mm it goes on full heat.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

What model of Citroen is it ?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Pike (assuming its your xantia here) has it got air con / climate control? or is it the standard slidy-heater guage blue= cold ,red = hot?
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Pike (assuming its your xantia here) has it got air con / climate control? or is it the standard slidy-heater guage blue= cold ,red = hot?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes it does have air con , with the standard slidy-heater guage blue= cold ,red = hot?
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Have you had the car a while and this is a sudden change, or is it a new car?Even the slidey control models (like mine) have a system whereby at either end the temp control is over-ridden and the heater stays on max cold or max hot with no temp control. If you move the lever, the heater automatically obtains the selected temp in the quickest time: If I move my lever from the middle to just a bit colder I get a rush of cold air as the car tries to lower the temp to the new setting, but it stabilises after a while.
I find it really effective and consequently never really have to adjust my heater position, even in the freezing weather I just leave it in the middle with the fan on auto and it gets lovely and warm in a couple of minutes, and never gets too hot.
Of course you might already know all this and know that it's not working properly in which case I would suggest it might be a problem with the auto temp control. It might be stuck thinking the control is permanently fully on hot, but when you select fully cold it somehow over-rides it? I think because you're not stuck on one temp all the time it must be electronic (but I'm no expert-just an enthusiastic DIYer)
Bearing in mind the weather is really cold, It would take a good blast of hot air to raise the temp a bit even from moving the lever the couple of mm you describe. Have you left it a while to see if it settles down or are you only doing short journeys?
cerbera
My Cars:

Post by cerbera »

I have the same problem, doesn't seem to gradually change. Also seems that the speed isn't controlled gradually either, its either full at the far right or not the rest of the way. Auto isn't working anymore either.. not that I can determine anyway !
Any suggestions ?
97 TDSX Estate.
With Air/con
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It'll be the interior temperature sensor - just to the left of the clock behind the alarm LED. You need to get it out and give it a clean / lube to get the little fan inside working again. Mine needs doing as sometimes I get climate control, most of time I don't. Some have said it's possible to prise the clock out and then the sensor, but you might need to take the radio out (which is why I haven't done mine, as I don't have the radio code - that and the lack of daylight and reasonable weather!)
cerbera
My Cars:

Post by cerbera »

Thanks for that ! Sounds a high possibility. Removing the radio isn't an issue as I replaced the original with a Sony which doesn't have a code. Hope it just needs a clean! Lets see what happens now...
Cerbera
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

It'll be the interior temperature sensor - just to the left of the clock behind the alarm LED.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Richard - Citroen rather thoughtfully replaced this bit on later citroens with an all in one strip (see above) and you now need to remove the steering wheel to get it off propperly. Though in the case of my car a previous owner has bust the retaining clips allowing me to gently pull the sensor end away and squirt compressed air dust cleaner in there.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I always run over mine with the vacuum cleaner whilst doing the carpets. Nobody had obviously cleaned it before when I bought the car, and the hoover sucked out loads of crud. You could have grown spuds in the crap around the passenger airbag gap too, but that's not for here......
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Marty,
I noticed that in the pictures you posted on the other threads, and thought, oh good, that'll be fun when the time comes (having read the Hyanes description of getting the clock out on a Mk 1!)..... Perhaps I'll get one of those air sprays and dump some dowm the sensor to see if that wakes it up!
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I know this is clutching at straws, but have you tried the system without the pollen filter installed? I thought I had a similar problem with my heating in that I had to set it right up the scale to get even a bit warm. Also the fan didn't seem to auto adjust so I had to set the fan manually. It turned out I had a blocked pollen filter (DOH!). I'd dropped the filter to look at it, but on removal I saw the grubby face is to the front of the car - and although it looked clean when I lowered it for inspection it was actually black and clogged. This was over Christmas, so I pulled out the filter paper and have been running it like that ever since. Now I get lovely heat and the fan auto adjusts properly; it even responds when the temperature is moved up a bit which it has never done before.