indicator stays on and drains battery

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rickkennard
My Cars:

indicator stays on and drains battery

Post by rickkennard »

Hi! Can anyone help? I have a 2.5 Citroen XM turbo diesel 1994 exclusive. The rightside indicator lights stay on all time and obviously drain the battery; I think this maybe linked to the alarm but am not sure. Does anyone know where the relay for the indicators are situated or know how and where to disable the alarm?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Rick, a couple of questions - does the indicator function normally when used on this side?
Does the light go out when the ignition is on?
Robin.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The flasher relay is mounted on the fuse/relay panel under the dash. You have to pull it all the way out to get at the flasher, which is the middle relay of the three on the highest level.
I would also suspect the alarm - but it could be that you have a bad easrth somewhere in one of the alarm sensors.
//NiSk
easterroad

Post by easterroad »

I had a identical issue with a 94 peugeot 306 ....and I traced it to an alarm issue, not being too fussy about having an alarm I solved it by removing and bypassing the alarm control box.
I have no idea if they use the same or similar alarm systems but you should probably start your investigations in that area.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the indicator was the problem - you should be able to cancel/move the lights to other side with the stalk.
Seems the voting here points to the alarm system [:I]
rickkennard
My Cars:

Post by rickkennard »

Thanks for replying; the indicator stays on all the time whether ignition is on or off. Doesn't work normally just stays on. Does anyone know how to find and disable the alarm? Thats if I can't find the relay for lights.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robin</i>

Rick, a couple of questions - does the indicator function normally when used on this side?
Does the light go out when the ignition is on?
Robin.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
rickkennard
My Cars:

Post by rickkennard »

Many thanks for the reply. I will give it a go at weekend. Also if this doesn't work do you know how to find and disable the alarm?<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

The flasher relay is mounted on the fuse/relay panel under the dash. You have to pull it all the way out to get at the flasher, which is the middle relay of the three on the highest level.
I would also suspect the alarm - but it could be that you have a bad easrth somewhere in one of the alarm sensors.
//NiSk
rickkennard
My Cars:

Post by rickkennard »

Thnx for replying do you know where the alarm is situated? So I can disable.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

If the indicator was the problem - you should be able to cancel/move the lights to other side with the stalk.
Seems the voting here points to the alarm system [:I]
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

To get the indicators to return to normal, try removing the bulbs from the offending indicators. Then arm and disarm the alarm. Then refit the bulbs. They should have extinguished!!
If you are using the Deadlock function (may not have it fitted), it may be that circuit that is sticking, so don't use the deadlocks.
The relays that activate the indicators can stick causing one side of the indicators to remain lit constantly.
My friends 406 had a similar fault, but the indicator only stayed on when the Deadlock function was activated. might help.