Xantia Speedo Calibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

i bought a handheld gps for my mountain bike along with the purpose of testing the accuracy of the speedo in the car! on the std 14's my speedo would over read 6mph throughout the range, (with the 17's which i have now taken off it was only 1.5mph over!)
one night coming home from work following a mate down the main a30 he was laughing and waving like a loon, didnt think much of it untill he said he hadnt been as fast as that in his car before, thought it was weird as we were only doing 90, lent him the gps in his sunny, he came back very plum faced, he was over reading 12%! this lead me to test all the new cars we had at the garage (nissan) and i was shocked that a brand new micra (53 plate at the time) still over read by 10%, and that the primera was 8% and so on,
it is certainly strange though when you are traveling at a true 70mph how many people you go past! little do they know they are only doing 60 -65!!
i suppose its safer!!
i know it doesnt answer the question, sorry!
Kered

Post by Kered »

Calibration only means knowing what the error is. So, Anders, what you say is quite OK. Calibration doesn't necessarily mean adjusting the reading to agree.
I use a Tomtom equipped PDA ( GPS and accurate)which shows that my HDi 110 Xantia (and all others tested so far) read a consistent 5 m.p.h. over.
Derek