Xantia Speedo Calibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Xantia Speedo Calibration

Post by pete_wood_uk »

I'm almost certain that the answer to the question I'm about to ask is "No, it's designed NOT to be fiddled with" but I'll ask anyway.
I recently timed my 2000-model Xantia (with the LCD odometer) against the kilometer posts on the motorway and found that the speedo is running about 9% fast (didn't go far enough to check the odometer). It's damned annoying - apart from anything else, it frightens the mother-in-law who thinks I'm driving like even more of an idiot than I actually am [:D]
Is there anything I can do about this (apart from fit bigger tyres [:)]) or am I stuck with it? I became suspicious when driving at an indicated 80-85mph on the M25 and lots more stuff than usual was coming past me...
Cheers
Pete
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you get a dodgy sensor or a wiring fault, will that stop some pulses from the sensor being picked up by the speedo and thus the under reading? On the back of the gearbox on top of the diff is a plug, you could try unplugging it, WD40ing it and putting it back together, see if that makes any difference.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I have absolutely no idea if this information can be applied to a Citroën Xantia or not, but I was recently involved in producing a service bulletin for Volvo cars, which described how one changes the coefficient in the speedo circuit for a V50 (which also has an electric speedo) to accomodate different Wheel/Tyre sizes. The change was naturally performed via the diagnostic socket. Is there anyone out there who knows how complex and/or flexible the dispaly systems on Citroëns are? Could be due to the CAN-bus technology being used and I'm not sure if teh Xantia ever got that, but then again, not many car manufacturers make their own instruments, and that means that there may be some redundant functions available (i.e. cruise control on late cars).
//NiSk
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Not much help - but related. My 98 model 2.1TD clocks my trip to work at 26.7 miles. Had a Rover 75 hire car last week which clocked it at 24.7 much to my supprise. Conclusion my odometer is reading 8.1% over. I'm assuming that the speedo is reading a similar amount over as well. May be inherent in the system.
Rory
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

This has been known with Xantias from their introduction...some folks were led to conclude it made them seem to cruise at speed better than they really did...and enhance their apparent fuel consumption.
My own 1993 Xantia will show the highest speed of any car I drive without triggering our village interactive 30mph sign when carrying out calibration trials (!?).
David
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

I must admit I've never calibrated my older Xantia, but the new one does seem to be significantly faster round bends :-). It undoubtedly is (better rubber and hydractive) but probably not *that* much faster, so I suspect that this new one overreads by significantly more than my old one. Oh well, "it just does that, squire" obviously seems to be the conclusion :).
Thanks
Pete
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The speedos in post 98 facelift Xantias were worse in this respect than those in the old shape cars, or so I’ve been told.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

My present Xantia 2.1 Estate, and also my previous BXTZD both register 5% more miles than I think they should.
Many times I've driven from Calais to Malaga which GPS states the distance as 1289 miles. I always record around 1350 miles. If the car really does over state the miles, I dread to think what the actual mpg is!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

i do know that a non-muliplexed Xsara can be calibrated,having been in a xsara police car (for legitamate reasons,honest) i noticed that it had a calibration sticker on the speedo head.i have no idea how they do it but im pretty sure it wont be through the diag socket on a non-multiplex car.i would imagine that any electronic speedo can be calibrated.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

My late father in law had a light-blue Lloyd Alexander TS (0.6L engine), in which he had a sticker on the dash telling :
"when your meter shows XX"
"you are driving YY"
Now that's calibrating [:D]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have a hand held GPS which I use attached to the winscreen and linked to my PDA for basic sat-nav. The GPS speed indicator, which is said to be + or - 0.5 mph indicates, on a straight road, that my speedo reads correct at 30 mph and about 1 mph fast at 70 mph. As a comparison my wife's Micra reads 2.5 mph fast at 30 mph.
Richard
petefa
My Cars:

Post by petefa »

Simple thought, but have you tried following a friend, who had a mobile phone(hands free of course![:p])and get him to drive at a set speed and see if your speedo is matching theirs?
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

"I became suspicious when driving at an indicated 80-85mph on the M25 and lots more stuff than usual was coming past me..."
Possibly off the point, but could you have been going clcockwise on the anticlockwise lane?
PJ
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Undoubtedly that your speedo can be calibrated, but you will need a pulse generator with calibrated frequency counter to do so.
It's not really viable to drive with the instrument panel hanging off and a screwdriver in the back whilst watching the reading and keeping a constant distance from a timing vehicle[:o)]
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Not sure about the Xantia speedo but I recalibrated the speedo on my motorbike which uses a similar electronic pick up. I firstly bought one of those bicycle speed computers which can be accurately calibrated to 1mm of wheel circumference. Should be as easy to fit to a car as to a bike. Having fitted this I noted the difference in readings, which turned out to be around 10% across the range. I believe this is built in inaccuracy so the manufacturers can't get blamed for drivers speeding. I then removed the speedo and fed the pulser input with a fixed frequency. On the rear of the speedo circuit board were a number of jumper wires and I found that removing each one in turn made the speedo read differently for the same input frequency, so I just kept changing them until I got a reading 10% below the original reading and on refitting found that the bicycle computer and speedo tallyed perfectly at all speeds. (The bicycle computer I used goes up to 183mph!).