Those Brakes Again & Other Horrors!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris55000
My Cars:

Those Brakes Again & Other Horrors!!!

Post by Chris55000 »

Hi Everyone!!!
Sorry for asking for more help - I'm still stuck with those pesky brakes - incessant rain every weekend for the last two months hasn't helped either!!!
1) I'm stuck with the top caliper bolt - my T55 1/2" socket won't go on it!!! Has someone used a different type (e.g. Hex or spline) or has it simply got mangled somehow? Suggestions for getting it out please? I'm stuck changing the disc till I can shift it!!! Can anyone tell me if GSF do these bolts or Citroen's pt no for them?[?]
2) Has anyone got a clear pic of the brake assy showing how the pad wear sensor wiring is routed? - whovever did 'em last didn't fit 'em - that's why I found 'em so far gone!!!![:(]
3) The posting dated 11 Oct from Jon giving the repair kit pt. no was very helpful - thanks!!!! Could Jon tell me how to find the RP no please?[?]
4) The rubber thingy under the mounting plate/bolts for the hydraulic strut whatsit behind the hub/driveshaft assy is peeling away from the plate - is this an MOT failure or can I repair this safely, if so, how please?[?]
5) Tip for Xantia Owners!!! - Brakes International http://www.brakesint.co.uk do the Caliper Seal Kit and the Piston separately - the Seal Kit is BCS5461 about £6 including VAT - admittedly the P & P at another fiver's not gratifying but neither is £65 plus £35 exchange surcharge and VAT for a reconditioned caliper!!!
If you do have a go at the seals yourself and the piston outer seal seems to be different with a metal ring with holes etc, you've still got the outer bit of the old one stuck in the caliper bore!!! I was just about to order a reconditioned caliper when I thought of checking with B.I. about the seal - they passed on this tip - Thanks Gents!!![:)]
Chris
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My Dad's solution to a socket not fitting would be to knock it on with a hammer, the hammer is his solution to a lot of problems. Often torx bolts get full of muck in the splines and gently knocking the torx bit in will displace this muck, before you start make sure you're using the right size of bit.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Knocking torx, zdx (12 spline) and allen keys into grotty bolt heads is going to give you trouble - you end up with less than the full depth of the key engaging in the hole (the bottom being full of compressed crud) and if its rusty as well, there is a very real risk that you will damage either the bolt head or the key. Do the job properly and clean out the muck before using the tool!
//NiSk
beezer

Post by beezer »

The size is T55 so you were using the right tool.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

1,Mine uses a hex bolt.
2,The sensor wire comes down the suspension leg,where it clips onto the bottom of the pad retaining clip,then onto the pad.Chances are after all these years it wont work anyway.
3,RP no is on the drivers side bulkhead under the bonnet,at the top.Its a bit hidden,but you will find the paint code as well.
4,Not to sure on this,sorry.