How do you tell when a xantia clutch is going?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieb5796
My Cars:

How do you tell when a xantia clutch is going?

Post by stevieb5796 »

Ok I'm about to test drive the M reg xantia i'm looking at buying tomorrow for the second time. I've been told to look out for the clutch (I haven't yet checked the service history but I will tomorrow).
Last time I drove it it seemed fine, a little high on the biting point but i got used to it within the short drive. Just put it down to not being used to citroen clutch. The car's got 103K miles on it.
Any help will be most appreciated
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

make sure it goes into gear easily also if the pedal is heavy its a sign its worn and could break the clutch pedal clip, a pig of a job to change. probably need doing if it hasn't been done already at that sort of miles.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There should be quite a lot of pedal travel - much higher than the brake pedal. A high, or very high, biting point is a sign that the clutch is near the end of its life - but on the other hand the clutch on previous Xantia TD went like that for 40k withuot really changing. As others have said, heavy is bad, as is rough, or difficult on take up. These clutches don't seem to start slipping, they just get heavier until they start breaking the plastic clip regularly.