BX accelerator pedal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobs

BX accelerator pedal

Post by bobs »

I've noticed the accelerator pedal on my BX TZD has some sideways movement preventing the pedal bottoming out. The bracket holding the pedal pivot appears to be damaged. Can anyone please help with any tips in replacing the bracket or is it fairly straight forward.
Thanks for any help.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Its a common fault, fixes include welded repairs and additional support brackets on the Right hand side, when removing pedal box the clutch cable is a bit of a brute to refit.
Stewart
bobs

Post by bobs »

Thanks Stewart
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Two nuts hold box to brake doseaur thingy on other side of bulkhead and two allen key bolts at top of pedal box. As Ospanner says, clutch cable is worst part and I found it easier to locate clutch cable before bolting it back and also obtained more play by releasing clutch cable at clutch end - wasn't so bad then.
Might be worth looking in scrappies - I found a brand new pedal box on a scrapped BX! Otherwise weld it. New ones cost about £50.
If you search under "pedal box" I'm sure you'll find plenty of refs
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Give P&R Motor Services a call on 01666505010. They sorted my similar problem out with a tailor made bracket mod which bolts on to 2 existing adjacent bolts, works a treat now. If they can still get the brackets I'm sure that they'll post one to you & if you live in the Tetbury Gloucester area would fit it. They specialize only in Cit, Ren & Pugs and are resonable & excellent. Ask for Reg or Paul and tell them that Mike Goodland suggested that you called them. Let me know the score. Best of luck.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I can vouch for the bracket method suggested by Mikeg. I did mine just after i bought the car about 5 years ago and its still fine. I made my own bracket out of 1 inch angle (only needed about 4 inches if I remember correctly) and it took me about 1 1/2 hours in the dark on a car new to me. I used the existing bolts because they were there and I hadn't a clue what I might hit if I started drilling the car!
jeremy