Volcane Suspension Vs Aura Suspension?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Volcane Suspension Vs Aura Suspension?

Post by Twiss »

Hello People
I have a Aura TD and would like to know how much better is the volcane suspension to mine, would it be better to buy the shocks and springs for a volcane and fit them to my aura or would it be better to go and get a spax vsx Lower 35mm Suspensoin kit !!!?[8D]
I will be looking at replacing my rear brake drums to discs, i know i need a rear axel from a volcane but what else do i need?
if i uprate my suspension now and then change the rear axel will the new stiffer rear shocks fit the volcane axel or should i wait on the suspension upgrade untill after i change the rear axel?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

When you visit the breakers for your Volcane axle get the shocks too. I believe they are shorter as well as being stiffer so you may kill two birds, AFAIK the Volcane rides lower than standard so will it need lowering more?
stewart
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

If you buy a suspension kit the rear shocks will be shorter than even the Volcane ones, which means you need to lower the torsion bar (which is a pig to do).
When I fitted the GMax kit to mine my dads Aura Estate got my old front shocks and springs and he thought it was much firmer and cornered better, didnt feel as much like a boat. It was slightly lower, but not so much as you could really notice.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

so its not worth getting the volcane suspension then i should just go and get the spax vsx susupension kit for her at the same time i get the volcane rear axel fitted.
Wheni phone up the breakers for the axel forma volcane what else should i ask for / need?
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

I think the flexable brake hoses are different for the Volcane discs to your drums, as for the rest of the pipework it should be the same, bias valve could be different but i'm sure someone here will know.
Order all 4 torsion bar mounts from GSF, and maybe some new discs and pads.
That should be all you need i think.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Ok thanks VLL, Right is there any thing else i need ?
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

ok People,
so all i need to ask for when i phone up the scrapy is one Volcane Axel, the Flexable hoses, the Discs and cailpers. then order 4 new torsion ber mounts from GSF.
On the suspension side of things how much lower would a Spax VSX suspension kit (lower 35mm at the front and stiffens up the back) be compared to the standard volcane suspension. i only ask again cos money is a bit tight so i was thinking about getting the volcane suspension for time being !!!?
The things we do to make cars look good :)
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Not quite sure how much lower the Volcane rides than your Aura but when I parked the Volcane next to one it did appear to tower over it! gotta be a good place to start, the Volcane also corners like a demented ferret too, its not all show.
Stewart
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I've lowered the Elation -35mm on standard shocks. ITs brill, and can't see why I'd change them for the volcanes. - Unless I had a leaky damper, it seems to have a good combo of looks and ride.
I'm thinking of maybe fitting the volcane rear dampers though as its now a bit bouncy at the rear.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

I just Wondered when i get the volcane suspension will the anti roll bar connect the same ? I have a 93 k reg Aura and the anti roll bar connects to the strut!!! so i take it i will have to find the suspension from a 93 volcane or will i have ot change my wishbones again (just had them replaced)?
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

The only difference between your front suspension and the Volcane suspension is spring and damper rates and lengths, not too sure if the anti-roll bar is thicker on the Volcane but it should all fit together ok.
As i said in a eariler post my old Volcane front struts went straight onto my dads old Aura Estate without any problems and transformed the handling.
robsons

Post by robsons »

Hi folks - new here but thought I'd add something. Volcane has large antiroll bars front and rears so don't forget.....
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Hi robsons
So my oringnal roll bars will have to be changed ?
Car is a 93 ZX Aura TD
VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

You can change the anti-roll bar if you like for the Volcane one but leaving the old one wont cause any problems.