Xantia rear suspension wont come up..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tboy113

Xantia rear suspension wont come up..

Post by tboy113 »

Well it did after about a while. I have a 1.9 TD hatchback on an R plate and the back takes ages to come up. I think its the rear spheres but im not sure... any ideas.
it is ticking and the front comes up well. the rear suspension has been lumpy recently...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The rear spheres do not have any influence on the height - only on ride softness.
The ticking you mention ? - that should be no more frequent than approx 30sec's interval. Faster ticking (i.e. near constant) is a pointer to a flat main accumulator sphere - the one located down on front of engine block.
A flat main accu could well give problems with the suspension.
How about the STOP lamp ?
tboy113

Post by tboy113 »

well the stop lamp came on when the LHM fluid was low, ive topped it up now. as for the hight, its does come on when its low.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

If you're still on the original spheres with an R reg, congratulations. My rears lasted about five years, though I'm still going on my original accumulator after 9 years.
As Anders says, frequent ticking is a sign of a spent accu sphere. And if it looks as though you've lost LHM fluid, then that pretty well clinches it.
I once had my rears stuck in a low position, thanks to a seized height adjuster valve. My main dealer charged me £160; my local garage later told me that they could have freed it up with a bit of WD40. Duhhhhhhhhhh.
In any event, be exceptionally careful if you ever have to drive anywhere with your rear suspension down. Your brakes will be all snatchy, and you just can't rely on them!
tboy113

Post by tboy113 »

ok thanks guys, so let me get this right. the accu sphere is the one attached to the engine block!!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The accu sphere IS the one on engine block [:)]
Spheres are approx £20 ea. at GSF [8D]
tboy113

Post by tboy113 »

ok so what purpose does the middle spheres serve on the rear
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Middle sphere -s ?
meaning you have 2 spheres under the rear of car - besides the one sphere at each wheel ?
The sphere fitted to a base with several pipes to/fro would be the hydractive suspension rear axle sphere. This is the sphere that is connected to both the rear cylinders at low speed to give extra soft and comfortable drive. In effect it is connected in parallel to both wheel spheres. This is the soft mode.
At higher speeds more stability is needed for safety, and the sphere is disconnected - hard mode (or sport mode on some models).
At front you have the same type of extra sphere which also connects/disconnects simultanously with the rear.
The 2.nd sphere found under rear would have a single thin gauge pipe connected. This is the rear brakes safety accumulator sphere.
Then you have the spheres at each wheel. These spheres has the same function as the coil spring on "standard" cars.
This sphere is denoted the "anti-sink" sphere.
I recommand you download this document :
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/guide.html
The best free available popular tech info on Citroens.
tboy113

Post by tboy113 »

execellent... make it much clearer... thanks!!!!
beezer

Post by beezer »

"The accu sphere IS the one on engine block " Actually it (flow control block & regulator) is on the transmission housing and would be better on the engine block.