How do you dismantle a Series 1 XM dash?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DomF9
My Cars:

How do you dismantle a Series 1 XM dash?

Post by DomF9 »

I've tried for 5 hours yesterday to get the dash apart to change the bulb for the fuel/temp gauge on the instrument panel in the binnacle. My Haynes manual that covers "98 to 89" clearly doesn't cover my 93 - its instructions actually show the series 2.
The instrument binnacle wouldn't come off despite removing the horizontal screws into the vertical edges of the binnacle surround.
I undid the steering column shroud, and about a dozen screws from the panel that holds the heater knobs (and extends to the right, holding the rear wiper/hazard light switches). Despite all this, this main panel appears to be held to the main dash with two screws that are put in from behind and aim towards the driver, so you cannot access them from in front of the dash.
Does anyone know how to dismantle a dash on a series 1, or how the heck one changes instrument panel bulbs?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You are almost there . .
If you have removed the two torx screws hidden behind small plastic covers on the inside of the binnical, all you need to do it to give the upper edge of the binnical a sharp smack with the palm of your hand upwards/towards the windscreen - you have to hit it really hard, so don't be afraid. The tagged plastic retainers should then disengage. Once it has all come apart the construction is obvious (as it nearly always is with Citroëns!)
//NiSk
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>
Once it has all come apart the construction is obvious (as it nearly always is with Citroëns!)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Close ... You of course mean "Once you have <b>SMASHED</b> it apart, the construction is immediatly obvious ... " At least that is what I've always found with Citroens [:D] [:o)] Image Image
seeya,
Shane L.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yes - Citroëns are strange motor cars - either they "come apart" on their own, or they stubbornly refuse to come apart at all without the use of not-so-mild force.
//NiSk
DomF9
My Cars:

Post by DomF9 »

NiSk
Is that really all there is to it?? When you say the two torx screws on the inside of the binnacle, I take it you mean the ones on the sides of the binnacle? (Haynes manual mentions two that go upwards into the top of it, but mine hasn't got those).
I had undone all the screws I could find and pushed the top of the binnacle <i>down </i>and got to the point of the lugs disengaged but the front base of the binnacle was starting to press down on the steering column surround and I thought I'd do some damage if I went any further (crack to the clear plastic front of the binnacle)! So, honestly, if I just whacked it at that point I could then get to the bulbs??
I went to Tates in Crawley this morning and they quoted me one hour's labour at £72+VAT to change said bulb.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Once you have lifted off the binnical, there are four easily (!) accessible philps screws, once these are out, release the speedo wire (bayonnet) and then lift out the whole unit. there are a couple of push-on multiwire edge connectors to pull of but thats about it. While you've got it out, change all the bulbs, otherwise you will wish you had next time one goes - even better, fit LED lamps instead - then you'll never have to replace them again.
//NiSk
and yes, there are only two torx screws - roughly half way up the inside of each side, screwed outwards parallel with the transparent plastic "glass"