Xantia heater all or nothing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pat
My Cars:

Xantia heater all or nothing

Post by Pat »

As it's started to get cold i@ve noticed that the heater on my 97 activa is either full on or full off. There doesn't seem to be a point on the heater controls where i can get the air at a comfy temperature. ( either too hot or too cold ) The slider moves ok for the temp but some days its red hot with the lever at 21 degrees others with the lever on 23 degrees it's cold . I never put it on the auto position because it doeesn't seem to work.
My other xantia a 95 td with a/c was easy to regulate but this new one toasts you or freezes you!!!
p.S. the recirc lever feels a bit jammed as it doesn't go all the way to the right ie recirc position but stays to the left which is air drawn from outside.
Please help anyone
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Pat, time to take the slider unit out. Popular one this just now.
Have a look at few other related heater leads in the last few days for instructions on how to remove the front.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=10563
The air recirc lever is a regular problem. The cable bends inside the unit. Try the auto setting again and ensure the heater matrix has been fully bled of air by the bleed valve where the heater pipes go through the bulkhead. Robin
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My recirc lever went faulty. The cable bent inside as Robin says. I took the unit out and tried to straighten the cable end. It worked for a few days, then bent up again.
I got a piece of sheet metal and cut it into a short strip about 1/2 inch by 1/4inch. I then wrapped the metal around the cable where it had bent so that the sheet metal formed a loose fitting tube to support where it kept bending but still allowed the full travel.
I refitted the unit and it has worked fine since. Although I am very cautious when I change from recirc to new air. I always push it over slowly.
About the temperature setting. I'm not sure what is behind the temp selector, but I assume its going to be some form of rehostat (variable resistor). Sometimes my unit doesn't respond as you'd expect, so i rapidly slide the control from max to min a few times. This seems to clean the oxidation off the resistor and it returns to normal operation giving me more precise temp control.
Pat
My Cars:

Post by Pat »

Thanks Kev, will look at it tody and i'll keep you all posted thanks PAT