Xantia Newbie - A few questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Try putting your boot on the rear silencer/tailpipe, my mates Xantia stops humming when I do this, probably something loose inside, perhaps a strategically placed dent might stop it altogether.
Stewart
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

I think it does sound like a fuel pump. It's quite high pitched like an electric pump and also while I put the windows down (electric) the pitch of the humm lowers slightly. Is there anything else out the back that is electric that could be causing it?
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Sounds like the fuel pump to me.
My CX, BX and Xantia make a humming noise at the back too... But only if I'm listening for it. I think once your brain recognises it as 'normal' noise, you just tune it out. Particauly in the CX's case where the pump isn't in the tank, so is quite noisy.
I'm quite certain the fuel pump should NOT turn off (I think that was suggested somewhere above). The fuel is in constant circulation through the fuel regualator. If the fuel pump didn't constantly run, the car would stop almost immediatly (it's not like a carby car where you have enough fuel in the carbys float chamber to keep the car running for a short period).
seeya,
Shane L.
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

Cheers Shane,
I'll just live with it then.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its worth finding the pump and examining it to see if its mounted properly with any rubber or similar insulation in place.
Jeremy
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I had a problem on a car of mine which I must admit I got used to, and could not get around to attending to. I knew the fuel pump had been noisy, but having decided to change it, what a difference! Your noise sounds like a fuel pump to me. The other reason I had delayed doing mine (note this was not on my Xantia) was because of the cost of the part, but as the pump was not within the tank it was easy to do, but did produce more noise than a submersed one would do when worn. I hope you enjoy your Xantia, they are lovely cars, and very different, but that's what life is about! [:D][:D]
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

Thanks for the replies guys.
I think i'll let it go for now. If i have the radio on, even turned down quite low I can't hear it. As long as it's doing it's job ok.
Does a noisy pump mean that it's on it's way out???
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well yes it's really a warning sign! As for how long that component will last it's difficult to judge.
I had a car (my first & not a Citroen) this had a gearbox that was noisy. The gearbox had a noisy layshaft, and the gearbox needed an overhaul, where the bearings etc would be replaced. I had to leave it to the point, where I could take it off the road, to carry out the repair. Other than the noise it was O.K. until I carried out the overhaul.
I had a more sporty version of the same car a few years later. This did not have a noisy gearbox, but at one point the gearbox stopped working, and locked up.(selector problem within the gearbox) This was during a lunch break, several miles from my training college, and basically very inconvenient.
So, the car I had not expected any problems with actually gave me more grief!
Now, I don't take anything for granted, and try to keep on top of problems, and look out for potential ones.
I hope you manage to sort the problem out, but don't leave it too long or come to depend on it. As you won't know when, or if it might fail.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Just seen your post, the noise from the fuel pump could be due to the filter needing to be replaced, not sure where it is on a xantia, on the cx and ds it is a cylinder about 150mm long just after the pump. I was amazed at the sediment I found in mine, it was very very fine and a reddish colour, it was suggested that it was left over from the refining process, but the pump ran much quieter after replacing the filter
________
Cancer - Cervical / Ovarian Forums
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
anno888
My Cars:

Post by anno888 »

Thanks for the info.
I will check the filter and see how I go.
Cheers
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

It will be the fuel pump and if you can hear it its probably a bit knackered. I had a friend with a noisey pump and eventually it broke! That took a while though so I wouldn't worry until its very loud.