picasso..blocked window washer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ste

picasso..blocked window washer

Post by ste »

hi lads....my first post so be gentle with me....
i've got a prob with the windscreen washers on my x reg picasso.
the pump sounds ok,and the rear jet is working fine...but when i pull the stick towards me to activate the washers,nothing comes out of the front ones.the motor can clearly be heard to make a different tone when i use the rear washer,so it sounds like the pump is working ok.only trouble is...i'm not getting any presure to the front jets as it seems the reservior backs up and sends the water to the rear jets instead.
i don't think its anything to do with the front jets as BOTH are out of action so must be either pump related or most probably a blockage in the pipe leading to the front jets.
anyone got any ideas how to rectify the prob? i'm about as mechanically minded as 3 year old!!!!! but don't really want to put it in the workshop (costs!!!!)
thanks in advance for any help!
ste.[:(]
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

Might be the same fault as I had on a citroen van. The T piece in the pipe which splits the flow to the 2 jets has a one-way valve in it (I think it is to stop the water emptying back into the tank, so keeping the pipe full ready to squirt). Check this isn't blocked by unplugging it and blowing through it. I fixed ours by taking all the insides out, and it seems to work as good as before.
ste

Post by ste »

thanks matey![:)]
i had a go at trying to unplug the t-section from the pipes earlier on today before i posted on here....but couldn't get if to shift at all,infact i was worried that the pipe would snap under the force i was putting it under.seemed to stretch a fair old bit too!!!!
any easy ways of removing the pipe from the t-section or is it just down to good old brute force?
cheers for the reply anyway.[;)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I've not tangled with one of these but I did get caught nicely on a BX that did exactly the same thing.
It turned out to be a dag of rust that had grown over the hole where it comes out of the wiper sfaft and that the spray arm connects to.
I eventually managed to get a straightened out paper clip to go through it & it's worked like a charm ever since but wasn't it ever a mongrel to find!![V][V]
Alan S
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by miked</i>

Might be the same fault as I had on a citroen van. The T piece in the pipe which splits the flow to the 2 jets has a one-way valve in it (I think it is to stop the water emptying back into the tank, so keeping the pipe full ready to squirt). Check this isn't blocked by unplugging it and blowing through it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It will be, the same thing happens on the ZX and the Xsara hatch.
ste

Post by ste »

thanks for your help lads.....if i can't get it off with brute force i'll get the old stanley knife out and replace the damaged pipes with some heat shrink tubing is need be.
cheers!![:)]
ste

Post by ste »

oh dear....!
i've removed the pipe from the t-section but no water is coming out of the pipe when i pull on the stick,so it's not a blockage in the t-section.
i've also removed the pipe at the next junction down to see if it was blocked there and still no joy.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

I'm fairly sure there is one pump on the Picasso with a valve on top. The motor spins in either direction which turns the valve so water goes to either front or rear. I clogged mine up by putting neat screen cleaner in the tank then topping up with water, I thought it would mix in the tank but instead it formed a thickish soaplike substance. Dealer cleaned it under warrenty though so I couldn't tell you how to get at it. You'll probably find that if you try to squirt front window for long enough that water starts trickling down the rear window.
Pete
ste

Post by ste »

yes,i am getting water from the rear instead.....almost straight away.
anyone got any idea's how to get at the pump?
looks like an inner arch removal on the wheel arch to me.
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

One other thing, to remove the pipe(s) pour boiling water over the end to soften the plastic pipe, especially in this weather ! The pump is in/on the washer bottle so I guess it's behind the offside front wheel arch liner.
Pete
moz
My Cars:

Post by moz »

hi where the pump or pipe fits into the water bottle there is a fine mesh filter it may be blocked up worth a try moz
ste

Post by ste »

right then...........
stripped the inner arch panel off,and removed the pipes at the pump.water dripples out,but still does nothing more when the washer is activated.pipes are sound as i can blow air straight to the windscreen jets no probs.
can anybody give me a concise,detailed discription on how to REMOVE and DISMANTLE the pump please,without knackering it!!!???
i presume it screws into the reservoir,as i can't see any holding screws.
had to stop as light was fading...should of started it earlier on today!!!![:I]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Maybe not too much help. but I find that most of the commercial washer additives will eventually turn to a jelly that will block various bits of the washer system.
I always use meths - combined antifreeze and degreaser.
BTE, if 'should of bought british' means 'Should have bought British' you are going to have to choose between a TVR and a Reliant - not much else is!! [}:)]
ste

Post by ste »

TVR has been sold to a russian company hasn't it? thats what was reported on top gear a few weeks back.[;)]
reliant it is then!![:I]
come lads....who's in the know about the pump?
help needed urgently!!!!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ste</i>

TVR has been sold to a russian company hasn't it? thats what was reported on top gear a few weeks back.[;)]
reliant it is then!![:I]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Oh! Didn't know that [:(]
I only watched one episode of the current TG - yea, suffered so I could see the 5 minute bit on the DS. I wonder if it is produced by the same team of schoolboys that produce 'Max Power' and other similar shredder-food?