Clutch Judder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Clutch Judder

Post by Jshodgson »

My clutch seems to judder when I pull away. The Haynes manual has 4 spanners (very difficult) next to nearly all activities to do with the clutch and after my recent glow plug change (2 spanners) I am affraid it may end my marraige!
Should I worry yet about the clutch?
Any easy (less than 2 spanners!) things I can check?
How much do you think it would costy to have it sorted at an independant garage???
Ta
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Clutch judder is nearly always caused by a fault in or around the clutch - either broken springs, or oil contamination. It could be simply a worn / damaged engine mount.
At 126k your car is probably on its original clutch, and it's probably (over)due a change. Xantia TD clutch is no walk in the park - I costed the parts out and they came to about £125 at GSF, so don't bank on it being less than £400 even at an indie, as you're looking at 8-10 hours labour.
I'd live with it if it's not too bad - you can buy complete Xantias with MOT for less than that....
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

You can get a Xantia TD clutch done for £300 all in, possibly less. It's still not mega cheap though.
My money would be on an engine mount though. I have the same symptoms and when the clutch was replaced (getting a bit too heavy) it made no difference to the juddering.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I had water leaking into the bellhousing from a tiny coolant leak, juddered like a brute, if you suspect contamination why not try squirting a can of brake cleaner in through the inspection hole whilst an assistant cranks engine/depresses pedal, otherwise it perhaps depends on how much you love your Xantia.
Stewart
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My clutch judders,sometimes alot,sometimes not at all.Has been this way since i got the car with 105k miles on it.Now done 141k.I also do alot of caravan towing.Apart from a slight bit of slip when pulling off on hills/slopes,its fine.I`ve learnt to live with it.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My clutch juddered for some time. I suspected normal wear and tear. I kept using it until it eventually started slipping then had it changed.
I looked at doing it myself, but it sounds scary and I needed a quick turn around.
I had it done along with a service so not exactly sure how much it cost but 300 ponds sounds about right.
Its been fine since. Nice and smooth.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Ha Ha.
Thats 2 ducks per pond.