ZX braking problems (again!!!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimbolaya
My Cars:

ZX braking problems (again!!!)

Post by jimbolaya »

Does anyone have an order of things to check when experiencing a shudder or sort of intermittent feel through brake pedal. When going slowly it shows as a sort of on off, back and forward feel.When moving faster its a sort of shudder.
I am not the most competent mechanic , But have a manual and a good friend who can get oily with the best !
Any help would be appreciated cause this is really hacking me off , I've changed tyres had wheels balanced. Rear supsension is fine ...just been done and problem still there. Doesn't happen thru handbrake.
thanks brothers[8D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Usually an imperfection in either :
1) wheel rim
2) hub bearings
3) driveaxle / CV joint
4) brake disc
Be sure the mating faces on hub & disc are clean.
You know that new discs must be cleaned well before fitting - and again before fitting wheels (greasy fingerprints) ?
Jack up one wheel at a time.
Then start tracing the problem by finding spacers which can bolt down the brake disc correctly without the wheel fitted.
That way you can rule out any wheel/tyre problem and check the complete drivetrain with brake disc only.
jimbolaya
My Cars:

Post by jimbolaya »

I have new driveshaft (long side)
and new cv joint (opposite side) so not that (I hope!!)
Apparently one of the bearings is making a VERY small amount of noise, so that needs investigation.
Wheels are alloy and in good condition. so hopefully not that!
brake discs were new 18 mnths and 30,000 miles ago, but would have been removed only 6 weeks ago for driveshafts etc....so maybe dirty greasy hands on discs..........If this is the case can I remove discs etc, clean hub faces and clean discs and refit, if so what should I clean them with.
Many thanks for your time[:)]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Warped disks. High probability.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Unfortunately not.
If brake discs are allowed to run hot with grease on, the grease kind of burns into the surface of the disc, producing spots of different friction. This causes the feeling of out of true discs.
It's the same thing that happens when the clutch friction plate is oil contaminated - giving a snappy clutch.
Only way removing it would be to machine down the disc - but it's cheaper replacing the disc.
New disc can get warped if the brakes are used hard from day 1 with new discs. The disc & brake pads must be bedded in the first 100mile or so with light braking only.
jimbolaya
My Cars:

Post by jimbolaya »

Now I definetly DID over brake on first day of disc use, I after and for the following 25-30,000 miles so why would they play up now ???? Any ideas anyone??
thanks ANders !
jimbolaya
My Cars:

Post by jimbolaya »

Now I definetly DID over brake on first day of disc use, I remember them actually smoking !!! but they were fine straight after and for the following 25-30,000 miles so why would they play up now ???? Any ideas anyone??
thanks ANders !
[:I]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Right [:)]
Let's just remember that car's and technical problems are not an exact science [8D]
There is no definate rule that absolutely kicks you from behind overbraking on day 1 - but it is very likely to happen.
Meaning I tend to believe you have the greasy spot problem as explained above, which may occur at any service event - even from road dirt.