Xantia IR receiver

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keithh
My Cars:

Xantia IR receiver

Post by Keithh »

I have just got a 1997 Xantia 2.0i, which is fine except the the plip doesn't work the locks/alarm. I have checked the plip and it is transmitting so it seems the receiver may be at fault. The question is can I change the receiver from another dead Xantia, that I know works, without any complications.
Incidently, I have also tried to register the plip using the proceedure posted here and elsewhere but the LED on the console refuses to even glimmer.
Cheers
Keith
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

No, as you suspect, it is coded to its plip. I'm surprised that it is an IR plip though. Surely it is RF, Radio plip
Keithh
My Cars:

Post by Keithh »

Urm, perhaps I'm not using the correct term. It's the combined key thingy with two buttons on the top and a IR transmitter just above where the key folds out. I checked it using a digital camera, as suggested elsewhere, and the glow is visible.
Could I use both parts from the dead Xantia, take out the circuit board from the key fob and use with the live Xantia and swop the receiver?
Cheers
Keith
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Mine is IR. IR plips were phased out sometime '97/98, I think.
I would have expected to be able to "train" any plip to any receiver if only you knew how. I can't believe that there is something permanently coded into the plip that ties it to a particular receiver.
Oh, well, forgot, this is Citroen after all - endlogic[:D]
Keithh
My Cars:

Post by Keithh »

Update.....
The key fob now confirmed as working, I managed to reprogram it for the dead Xantia, so can I now swap the receiver from that car into the newer one and then use the now reprogrammed key fob?
Cheers
Keith
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes. If Lateral thinking solves your problem then you probably drive a Citroen!
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Not sure if I've got your intention quite straight, but I too have been through this process with Xantia IR fobs.
If it's just a case of a defective receiver unit in the car, then sure, you can just swap it for a known good one. The receiver unit is <i>only</i>a receiver and does not do any decoding. So you will have to reprogram your plip again for the car you move it to. If the alarm/locking ECU is duff, which reading your original post just might be the case, then merely changing the receiver in the roof won't help at all. You'll have to change the ECU[:(]
Of course, I could be wrong - the two cars I played with were 94 and 95 models[;)]
Keithh
My Cars:

Post by Keithh »

Update 2....
I now swopped the receiver unit with the one I know is working and still no response to the key fob. I have read elsewhere various posts on the location of the ECU(s), under the passenger carpet and in the nearside wing. I still have the dead Xantia that I can canibalise so which bits do I need to swap?
By the way thanks for the info so far, a high quality forum.
Cheers
Keith
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Can you lock/unlock and deadlock using the key in the door?
What about fuses?
Thinking maybe that it isn't the receiver or the plip at fault.
PJ
Keithh
My Cars:

Post by Keithh »

Yep, key works fine for locking and dead locking, I also checked the F17 fuse which set the alarm siren off when reinserted. The LED in the centre will flash when the button to the right of the steering wheel is operated. It can't be the the receiver or plip as they have both worked with the other car.
I have found whilst unsuccesfully looking for the alarm ECU that the footwell underlay is wet which I se from other posts may be a factor.
Question is does the alarm ECU affect the operation of the locking/deadlocking when using the plip along with arming the alarm system.
I would really like to be able to lock/deadlock with the plip and a functioning alarm would/may be a bonus and until the dead Xantia is towed away I have a source of functioning electronics.
Thanks
Keith
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Groping in the dark here - working on the basis of logic rather than knowledge is not always productive!
The plip works OK.
The receiver works OK.
The central locking works OK.
The alarm sounds OK if the fuse is in.
The plip will not unlock, lock or deadlock.
Training the plip to the car gets no reaction.
Sounds, as DervDonkey suggests, like the ECU sure nuff.
Surprised you didn't find the ECU under the wet carpet?
Should be under the carpet under the passenger's seat.
Others have found that drying it and/or making sure connections are OK solved their problems.
Incidentally, if your ultrasonic sensors are the originals they are probably "not behaving very well" - possibly why F17 is pulled.
PJ
Keithh
My Cars:

Post by Keithh »

Now found the alarm ECU and it is sopping so I will dry out and try again, although....
Looking at the dreaded Haynes book the wiring diagram suggests that the alarm ECU is linked to the IR receiver via the central locking ECU. That would suggest that if the signal is sent from the IR receiver it should operate the locks even if the alarm ECU is playing up.
Cheers
Keith
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Sorry for not understanding the English term for deadlocinkg. What is the difference between terms locking and deadlocking? Thanks for reply.
Keithh
My Cars:

Post by Keithh »

Deadlocking means the locks cannot be opened from inside the car using the door buttons, it means you can only go through the windows. A bit more secure thats all.