Activa leaking LHM...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Well I couldn't swear to it, but I am fairly sure that releasing the pressure in the system as per normally described here will do the job for you. I can find nothing to suggest otherwise. The worst can happen is if you find there is still pressure in the hoses - but I can't see how that would happen if you follow the instructions...
PJ
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The joint I refered to on the BX strut is simply a hole in the outer casing against which a small rubber adaptor with the hoses attached is clamped by a clip going round the strut. As there is no screw or anything, simply the force exerted by the clamp which doesn't cover the whole of the adaptor, excess flow allows a pressure to develop and the rubber adaptor lifts allowing leakage.
From the previous thread I recall that there was a similar hole with an adaptor pressed against it on the Xantia Activa strut. I've never seen one and am therefore reliant on someone elses description.
Jeremy
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Unlike your conventional strut, the activa rams have to cope with high pressure to either side. Sometimes they's pushing up, sometime's they's pulling down. Hence the TWO high-pressure-capable connections to the base of the ram.
Somewhere in this story is the clue to the Activa's traffic-light dance or Activa Shimmy - when it decides it needs to pump up the front right corner for reasons entirely of its own.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Haha, that does catch people's eye doesn't it!
I am not going to attempt this job so it is booked into a dealer local to my workplace next Monday. Fingers crossed it is just the hose union and not the ram itself.
Thanks for all your help chaps, it has been most illuminating.
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Damn unt blast. It is the actual ram that is leaking. £440 fitted by a Cit dealer!! Anyone know if that sounds about right for this job?
Just what I need before christmas...
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

It sounds right for a Cit dealer!! A bit over 4 years ago rear ram and some bushes would have cost me £370 at dealer - but were still under warranty. But it really seems extortionate. You can see the thing sitting there, easily accessible. You would think it's no harder to replace than a sphere - but of course that's only from looking at it.
Did you try searching here?
PJ