Activa leaking LHM...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

macaroni
My Cars:

Activa leaking LHM...

Post by macaroni »

Hi,
being quite new to Citroen ownership, please bear with me...
My STOP light came on my Xantia Activa this lunchtime and a quick inspection of the reservoir confirmed my worst fears - empty. I drove (naughty I know...) round to the Cit dealer to check some LHM and noticed it was leaking from behind the nearside front wheel.
Anybody got any idea what might be leaking? This will give me a headstart when I investigate it tonight.
Cheers,
Antony
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it's right on the back of the wheel it will probably be the front strut leak off pipes - there should be two rubber pipes looping from the bottom of the strut to the body. Cheal to buy, but a bit of a git to fit because of the clip....
However, this is an Activa, so it could be coming out anywhere!
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Thanks for the advice. I haven't got up close and personal with the problem yet, but it looks like it is coming from just at the back of the wheel.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Is it coming from the back of the strut, as above, or the brake caliper?
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Depends on how much "leaking" means.
If seriously haemorrhaging it could be a split in the flexible hose(s). Not a cheap fix - I got mine done earlier this year.
PJ
PS - If that's the problem it will get worse, fast, and you will rapidly loose steering, suspension and brakes - just like I did - but fortunately mine happened in the driveway. PJ
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Well I have had a quick look and it appears to be leaking from the inner most flex-hose leading to the Activa Ram. Possibly!
It is where the flex-hose screws into the base of the ram. It is leaking quite quickly and I suspect it will fill container overnight.
It doesn't look like a big job if the unions come undone easily.
Does this sound sensible or am I barking up the wrong strut?
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have had a leak in the same place and it turned out to be a leaking anti sink valve. It was coming out like Niagra Falls!
You may have a different leak however it may be worth checking all parts in that area closly before you buy any new parts.
Richard
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Antony,
Can you see the leaky hose behind the wheel - meaning is it one of the hoses in the wheel arch? There are two - Citroen price about £25+VAT each. I didn't think the hose to ram was flexible - but could be wrong. Too dark and cold to check just now!! Just sailed through MoT tonight - chuckle.
Be VERY careful. Once that Niagara begins it is no time until you have lost all hydraulic services which is really bad news.
PJ
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

PJ,
It is a leaky hose behind the wheel. There are 2 hoses that go from a junction quite high up under the wheel arch to the bottom of what I believe is the Activa Ram, could be wrong though. One of the unions at the end of these hoses sits flush, but the one that leaks appears to sit a bit proud, but is definitely tight. I am going to pop into my friendly local Cit dealer today and try to identify what it is.
Thanks for your help.
Antony
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

OK, just been to the Cit dealer and it looks like it is one of the 2 flexi-hoses going to the Activa ram. PJ was right in that they are £24.50+VAT each, but it looks like a right nasty job to do. The Cit tech I spoke to claims they remove the ram to facilitate the screwing of the union into the ram base.
Not sure I am up to removing an ACtiva ram as they are separate from teh rest of the hydraulic system and require quite complex depressurisation, as far as I understand. Might get it booked in...
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

AArghh.
I'm not convinced about the Activa ram being separate from the rest ... ?
I got my hoses done by Cit dealer[:I][:I][:I]
Parts took a week to arrive.
Can't be too hard to do, job cost about £100.
PJ
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I seem to remember a thread on the subject of return hoses from these special Avtiva rams before and the problem there was that having replaced the hoze it still leaked.
I may be barking up the wrong tree but it all sounds a bit like BX front struts. Yes you can get return hoses but if the existing ones are leaking the chances are the strut has gone as they shouldn't leak that much in the first place.
So the question is how good are these struts?
jeremy
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Jeremy,
that is an interesting point...the actual hose isn't leaking, but the point at which the hose union screws into the base of the strut. Makes me think it might be the ram strut itself - hope not.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Just been out to look. For the benefit of non-Activa readers, these are two industrial-strength flexihoses that feed the ram - one for up, one for down. My ram is a bit oozy at the bottom, but not seriously leaking.
I fear that if the leak comes from around the junction itself then you may have a ram defect.
PJ
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

Grrr...just been told that my (very) local Cit dealer is closing down in a week! Damn, have to try and tackle the job myself.
Anyone got any tips for de-pressurizing the Activa system?