a few probs with my ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marty_t3
My Cars:

a few probs with my ZX

Post by marty_t3 »

I just picked up a 93 ZX 2.0 16valve. Fortunately I got it for pennies so i wasn't expecting a perfect car.
Here's my problem .....
The heater/blower control does nothing. It's really stiff to turn and there is no air blowing from any of the vents no matter what position the knob is turned to.
also,
Electric windows. My driver side motor turns but the window doesn't move. Also, the passenger window does move but painfully slowly. The sunroof isn't much quicker.
Any ideas??
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

The passenger windows and sunroof I would put down to a bad earth connection. My Volcane did the same. It was the door connectors that I cleaned up and that made a difference.
The Drivers side one has probably come out of it's runner or has been disconnected.
The heater blower control , if it's like the xantia uses cables to control the position that the air flows to. It could have come loose or fallen off. The other option is that the Blower itself has given up.
If you don't mind me asking, what do you think to the car? I've got a '91 1.9i Volcane 5 Door and a '93 2.0 8v Volcane 3 Door. Trying to get hold of a 16v but there's none near me.
Steve
marty_t3
My Cars:

Post by marty_t3 »

To be honest..... i love this car already, even without a heater[:D]
I only bought it by chance as I just wanted something comfy to use over winter while i put another engine in my 200sx. I was looking for a Merc 190 and after discounting yet another shed the sales guy pointed the ZX. Generally speaking i don't like french cars, but after looking over the ZX i decided it actually looked ok, had a nice comfy interior, and had decent stats on paper. I decided to give it a try.... and i'm very glad i did.
The car handles great, really tight feeling even with my 70k mile bushes and the ride is tremendous for such a small car. There's very little body roll and despite the part worn budget tyres it's on, it still has plenty of bite into corners, even to the point of being tail happy (just the way i like them lol). Oh, but it doesn't handle speedbumps well.
I haven't really had much of a chance to gauge what it's like in terms of grunt though as I've found another problem that i'm gonna have to take care of. There's an intermittent loss of power at about 2'500rpm upwards. It doesn't seem related to temperature or anything but it just makes the car gutless. (possibly the timing wandering out??)
When the power loss isn't there the car feels very light and very eager to accelerate. Far quicker than i was expecting. The power curve seems very smooth and the car just wants to throw itself down the road (though i'm used to having my spine kicked at 3,000 rpm by a turbo).
The brakes are excellent, again, far better than i was expecting. I haven't even had a chance to see what sort of brakes are on it, i'm just assuming it's vented discs at front and drums on the rear?
Gearbox i find a little clunky in low gears but that might be partly cured by some new oil. Definitely not as smooth as my 200 gearbox, but far better than my golf. I'm sure i read that the 16v had very close gearing?? It doesn't seem that close and i don't find myself having to change gear as often as i'd expect.
Overall, i reckon once i get everything sorted and give the car some TLC, i'm gonna be a lifelong fan. It does everything i want it to do performance wise, it's very comfy, and it's cheap [:D]
One other query though (i'm gonna sound daft here).... glove box?? There's what looks like a piece of trim hanging off in front of the passenger seat, i'm guessing there's a glove box in there somewhere? [:D]
marty_t3
My Cars:

Post by marty_t3 »

I don't suppose there's an nice PDF manual for it available online?
oh, just remembered .... the rear wiper doesn't work either, i'm guessing the motor has died.
I know this may sound like a lot of problems for a car i just bought, but i could spend 500 quid on the car fixing it up and i'd consider it a bargain [:D]
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Slow windows and sunroof - mine were much improved with a spray of Rubber and nylon lubricant.
Gearbox - when I got my Zx it had just been serviced at a Halfords service centre and the change was rather poor. They had used EP80. I changed it to the correct BV oil and it was like a new box. Not expensive either.
marty_t3
My Cars:

Post by marty_t3 »

Cheers, I'll give those suggestions a try at the weekend.
Just one more question for now ....
What's the warning light below the oil pressure gauge. The gauge goes from 0-8, on light load the needle usually sits around 3.5 (bar i presume).
Occasionally, on starting the car, something lights up below this gauge with a weird symbol to the right of it. The light stays on for 5-10 seconds or so then goes out. I've checked the oil level again and it's fine. The oil pressure gauge itself seems to have a mind of it's own too at times.... Sometimes it reads fine, but occasionally it doesn't even flicker.
Any ideas?
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

If the blower isn't working it is probably the heater motor resistor that has gone... costs a tenner and is located behind the dash. It can be got at by taking the plastic panel under the windscreen off.