What is under an XM right hand wing?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

What is under an XM right hand wing?

Post by Robin »

Before curiosity completely overcomes me and I start taking it apart, can anyone tell me what is running under the right hand front wing? It sounds like a motor running or fan when the ignition switch is on.
I don't thimk it's a diesel water heater but ........ it is a VSX so anything could be I guess. R
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

sounds like a diesel heater to me, not sure about xm's but i know vsx xantia's have them.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

It may well be a Diesel water heater. I think that you'd be well off trawling young Bernie's postings from around 2-3 months ago.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I am familiar with diesel heaters from working with boats but cannot see any water pipes or an exhaust. If it is a heater then I have something to learn from Citroen about the installation!!
Would there be a separate circulation pump related to the intercooler which is an air to water variety?
R
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I have an Ebersprächer diesel heater fitted to my XM 2.5TD. In my case, the heater is fitted into the left hand front wing (seen from drivers seat). There is an extra exhaust pipe poking down through the plastic sheilding under the wing and a whole bunch of extra fuses just behind the LH headlight. there is also a thin fuel line tapped into the main fuel line just after the fuel filter (after about 6").
The space below the RH wing is occupied by a water tank and HP pump for the headlamp washers.
//NiSk
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

NiSk, no headlamp washer on mine but I will go back and check out the heater option again. It does at this stage sound like the most likely answer. This is under the right hand wing when veiwed from drivers seat.
If it is then I need to find out how it is controlled, I guess automatically from the climate control centre. there is no mention of it in the handbook. Regards, R
noz
My Cars:

Post by noz »

Robin,
You don't say which model you have but if it's the diesel then the noise coming from the offside (RHD) front wing is a vacuum pump. It's sole purpose in life is to produce vacuum which in turn activates the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve.
If ever there was a difficult way to do something.........
I've disconnected mine electrically because the noise got on my nerves.
cheers
norrie
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

That makes sense!
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

It's the VSX 2.5td so I guess you are right re the vacuum pump. I will leave it alone for now. My most annoying noise is the little fan in the thermostat in the roof light console!!
Still need to look under the left hand wing though!
Thanks everyone. R.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Prise out the roof lamp fitting, unscrew the two philips screws, lower the unit, turn the fan unit a 1/4 turn (bayonnet). lift out, blow out all the dust and fluff. If it's still noisy, drop one drop of sewing machine oil on the shaft so that it runs into the bearing (DON'T USE WD40, CRC 556 or similar!!). That should shut it up!
//NiSk
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

NiSk, your a star. Thank you for that, I feel like it's becoming the Rolls Royce syndrome - Damn that ticking clock[}:)]
Robin.