xantia starting problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lostinlincs

Post by lostinlincs »

[:D]thank you
Triv question to anyone who knows - i have seen a cx with full (citoen?) body kit towards the end of its era in the uk. Anyone know what it is? It was in white- cx lights far smaller than on tha standard car. Saw an example near Boston about 5 years ago. I know that to own one would kill me but hey why be normal[:D]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Make sure any relay you fit is for the TD and not the NA engine, they are not the same, similarly with the glow plugs, NA plugs will trash a TD relay.
Dave
lostinlincs

Post by lostinlincs »

apologies, na? as in na part?[?]
i am not the fastest in lincs which not much to boast about....[^]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

N A is Normally aspirated, as in NOT turbo diesel.
lostinlincs

Post by lostinlincs »

ah of course.
Tried the cable from plug to positive and involves much sparking as I connect to the battery - is this normal? Leads fairly heavy duty so should be to transfer large amount of current
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by lostinlincs</i>

ok
On trying to attach to plug - neg terminal car body and pos on plug-could you clarify where terminal part of plug is? have the hex top with metal tube pipe and the lower part which more rusty in colour where the (i assume)pre heating electrical lead runs. Where best to pop the leads? em earlier experimentation resultined in some slightly disconcerting sparks[:0][:I]
Also is it best to have battery disconnected from the rest of the car while doing this?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sounds like you are looking at the injectors, not the glowplugs. There are no pipes on glowplugs - just a lead going across them all, and another one from the relay.
Be careful about making too many sparks at the glowplug end, as this can damage the thread and make if difficult getting the terminal nut off.
lostinlincs

Post by lostinlincs »

Ah noooo confusion reigns supreme.[:I]
As a previous petrol head and only under the bonnet due to lack of finances – what exactly am I looking for as the end of the glow plug-? are there likely to have a star style key top or are they much more conventional like a spark plug?
beezer

Post by beezer »

This one is upside down but you should get an idea as to what they look like. I have seen some with star nuts on them. They should have an interconnecting strip of metal.
Found another picture:
lostinlincs

Post by lostinlincs »

[:D]
Tried another relay. Started first time.
Much thanks to everyone who offered advice.
Got the ignition switch to do next.[:0]